MyHealth Record - Megathread

I think they are usually preferred in public, but what you wear in the privacy of your own home is your own business.

On more serious matters, I have opted out of this nightmarish, Orwellian scheme. There is overwhelming evidence of the inability of anyone - including governments - to secure data. The data that this system will hold is incredibly personal, and will be of enormous value to some people. Some of those people will have direct access to the data!

The system has been designed to be opt-in, and there are plenty of options for you to select what information is kept on there, shared with third parties after being ‘anonymised’ (how well, who knows?), and other important decisions that users need to make. Just turning an opt-in system to opt-out - without redesigning it - is a recipe for disaster in itself!

It is a safe bet that the list of who can access your health data will grow - with or without your knowledge and/or consent. We have been given a three month window in which to peer into the future on the basis of past experience; given how poorly this government has managed data, I can see no basis for wanting them to hold mine in this database.

I hadn’t realised that privacy advocates had so much to gain from keeping my information out of the wrong hands. On the other hand, ‘experts’ in a particular field tend to have very clear biases. Ask who benefits from this system, and then let me know where to look for bias.

They could, but isn’t a centralised database so much more convenient? I’m sure there are all sorts of reasons that insurance companies and lawyers ‘need’ access to my health data - but that is a lot harder for them when it is scattered across various agencies and private entities.

You think this is either/or? It’ll be stored on both, creating double the risk.

Try? Sure (as long as we can cut costs at the same time). Succeed? Well, there is a reason there are things called zero-day vulnerabilities. They are only discovered after they have been successfully exploited. There is no perfect software, and no perfect security. We also have a government that is happy to cover up for private sector hackings (‘they only have to report this because of those strict UK laws’)! We have never seen an independent report on the failures of the 2016 census, and this government still has not explained how Medicare card details came to be for sale in the darker corners of the Internet.

The PBS already has this ability. Work well?

Valuable data vs. programmer time?

Please - this is a family forum!!! :astonished:

Not one that’s dying?

I recognise that the government already holds a lot of data about me - and cannot avoid that. This, though, is merging lots of data into one set and then giving access to a whole bunch of individuals and organisations. I’ll pass, and keep the lists of medications and allergies in my pocket where they have been quite safe up to this point.

7 Likes