Multipurpose cleaners review

Hi @grahroll, we haven’t tested Method’s bathroom cleaner yet, but we HAVE looked at their all purpose cleaner and their toilet cleaner in the past. We can’t really comment on whether their Powergreen technology is actually green, or at all powerful for that matter, but I would point out that there’s a lot of cleaning products out there which use plant-based surfactants.

6 Likes

Thank you for the reply. As I thought the products you tested didn’t seem to fair so well as regards their cleaning ‘power’… I guess they smell nice so people may buy them based on perfume or the claims about ‘green credentials’. The product line covers a large range of household cleaning jobs from my inspection of their site so if like the ones you tested they all have lower scoring it might be a lot of money spent for little actual benefit.

The method® site has the claim “shop method for products that clean like heck + smell like heaven” lol I wonder how to now interpret the ‘heck’ part of that.

4 Likes

Yes, and that’s something of a common theme in the products we’ve tested - many (but not all) ‘green’ cleaning products just don’t clean very well, despite carrying a price premium over others. There are some that do a great job, but when it comes to eco friendly cleaning, caveat emptor.

5 Likes

@airedale, a reminder to consider including

2 Likes

Still even as a concentrate it has a lot of water added to the product according to the MSDS. 70-80% of the product is water, why don’t they concentrate it more? After all for a lot of the applications that they provide instructions for they also have you dilute it further. Save some water in the production and dilute it only as necessary perhaps?

The cost is very high as well from my perusal of their site but the more bulk size you buy the price per litre becomes more acceptable. If you had/wanted to buy it maybe getting a few friends together to bulk buy and distribute between the group would be a vastly cheaper option.

3 Likes

Are you referring to Olympic Clean or another product? I could be off base but always thought the level of concentrates targeting consumers was purposefully ‘watered down’ so it was not too strong, and thus safer in the hands of the ‘common man’. I can attest to the Olympic Clean 5:1 dilution being hard on the hands without gloves as an example. I imagine many would be tempted to try it undiluted, so if it was truly a high concentrate with minimal water it could be dangerous, could it not?

We buy the 5L package and for our normal 20:1 dilution it has been very economical, plus we mix some 10:1 and 5:1 for special needs which we see as flexibility in being able to make some stronger than ‘regular’ (20:1). You cannot do that with such as Nifty and its competitors, you can only dilute them.

4 Likes

I was referring to the ‘Olympic Cleen’ as the MSDS has the water as 70-80%. They seem to sell it more as a commercial product that then needs to be diluted down to the purpose/s required. I just wondered why add so much water rather than leaving it more concentrated and just advise more dilution as required. Not really a big issue but seems like a lot of water that you might be paying for particularly at the 1 litre offer size??

In regards to the cost of the product the 5L pack it certainly is a cheaper purchase per litre than their 1 litre offer and all I was suggesting is that if people wanted it would be far better to purchase the 20 litre or the 15 litre offer as the price is staggeringly cheaper and could easily be shared among friends or family. The 200 litre is probably going too far overboard unless you had lots of users to split it between.

Around 1/5 of the component mix is Butyl Glycol Ether (BGE) which is a hard surface cleaner, solvent, surfactant and has a number of other purposes. The MSDS for Orange Cleen™ almost completely reflects the MSDS for BGE see https://www.solventsandpetroleum.com/uploads/6/0/3/7/60372849/butyl_glycol_ether_--_sasol.pdf. The other major component of the product at around 10% is the Surfactant mix which has no CAS classification. BGE is a relatively inexpensive solvent and is one of the most widely produced in the world. BGE can be bought cheaply at around US$1 to US$3 a kilogram, some suppliers charge more and some in large bulk quantities sell it for around US$0.70 per kilogram https://www.alibaba.com/showroom/butyl-glycol-ether.html

5 Likes

I’d love to see “soap and water” included in the Choice reviews, or in my case, dish detergent and water. It’s weird - but my new China toilet had the recommendation “clean with mild soap only”* so I cleaned it with a solution of Morning Fresh Ultimate (Choice’s top rated dish washing liquid) and it did such an amazing job I decided to try the soap and water with a micro fibre cloth in some other places. It cleaned up every surface in my bathroom to sparkling - tiles, laminate benchtop, acrylic bathtub, porcelain sink, chrome tapware, glass shower screen. A little bit more work because it required the extra steps of rinse and dry, but the major plus was that it did not trigger any allergy symptoms at all (a problem I usually have even with the most “natural” of surface sprays). The Morning Fresh Ultimate is an expensive but very effective dish washing liquid - but when it’s a multi-surface cleaner as well I feel like it’s really great value!
Do we really need antibacterial cleaners on most surfaces, or like our hands, is the mechanical removal of germs with detergent and water enough?

*I don’t care what the manufacturer says I’m still using a disinfectant toilet cleaner in the bowl!!

5 Likes

There is a new player in this field. Accell Clean was created for the Deep Horizon oil spill. There are plenty of videos on you tube (in Spanish!!) cleaning pretty much everything. NOw available in in Australia and can be seen here https://www.facebook.com/Clean.Freak.Australia/. The Australian distributor is World Environmental Technologies and there is a fair bit on their page as well. Certainly the reverse of KOH. You add the water and 2 ltrs will last a family well over 6 months!! Check this one out!

Hi @CleanFreak and welcome to the forum. I hadn’t heard of Accell Clean for domestic use.

In relation to Accell Clean, it has a MSDS which provides information on its main ingredients and also product risks. The MSDS for Accell Clean DPP can can be found here, for ACCELL Clean SWA can be found here, Accell Clean DWD,can be found here and Accell Clean HDD Ready to Use can be found here.

The World Environment Technologies website is silent on what form of Accell Clean is being marketed, but assume that it is Accell Clean HDD Ready to Use.

Two things to point out from the Accell Clean HDD is that the product may cause dermatological reaction when contacting with skin and also ‘animal tests show reproductive affects’. It would be interesting to know what these affects are and if they are of concern. These affects would result from the ingredients being Benzyl Alcohol (Hydroxytoluene) or Ethanolamine (2-Aminoethanol).

It is worth noting that the manufacturer’s website seem to indicate that it is marketed for industrial and institutional applications/uses.

2 Likes

Hi phb, I apologise, this is my first post and I thought my profile name was clear that I am associated with the company. The Accell Clean being marketed in Australia is the SWA (Surface Washing Agent). This is sold in a slightly diluted form such that a dilution of 30ml in 470~743ml of water will give a low level cleaner (counter type spray and wipe/windex etc). With 2 pumps, you have a stronger cleaner for bathrooms and light cook tops, and 3 pupms will work on ovens and de-greasing your car. We do have the DPP and other variants, however they is limited to industrial and heavy commercial
use only.

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying this one. I wonder if WET has read the MSDS for SWA as the claims that Accell Clean is safe for you, your pets and the environment. 100% all the way! appear different to what is in the MSDS.

The manufacturer’s MSDS, while being for the neat product, indicates that it ‘Causes skin irritation’, ‘causes serious eye damage’ and harmful to aquatic life. The MSDS also states that it is 'for commercial and industrial use only".

Are the claims that it is safe and alluding its for for domestic applications misleading?

And should WET be providing links to the MSDS?

3 Likes

The latest in marketing claims and possibly technology is an ‘Nano-Glaze’ finish.

The suggestion is that it eliminates the need for harsh chemical cleaners. Perhaps the recommendation is consistent if your pan has the same or a similar product finish. One way to save on expensive toilet cleaner.

A possible boon for us consumers with old fashioned wet septic systems. Our replacement rimless suite came with the NanoGlaze product finish. It does seem to be much easier to keep clean, given it is the wiping action that does most of the bacteria removal. Filling a septic up with antibacterial chemicals only kills all the bugs, and causes the system to fail.

4 Likes

The SDS refers to the product in hyper-concentrate. The “concentrate” variant sold into the domestic market place is already diluted. The eye is the only area that must be avoided (as with all cleaners). The product that is used is further diluted, at this level it is safe. The fact is Accell Clean (SWA) is approved for use in Oceans (IMO), has EPA approval for disaster remediation and its variant is used in sewers to improve sewer health. If you compare it to other products claiming Eco friendly status it is fabulous. Potassium Salts (KOH) are used in the dissolving of Aluminum, hence it will ruin this around your home. There is a fair bit of information here https://www.bio.org/sites/default/files/WorldCongress/Michael%20Goldfeld.pdfthat you can read on the Accell Family of products. I am not putting any other products down, I am suggesting that Accell Clean might be a safe alternative that is super cost efficient and cleans everything (except scale and minerals) really well.

Maybe you’re not rubbing hard enough?

sorry :wink:

5 Likes