Motobikes in my corridor: Duty of Landlord to render gates lockable

I think you answered your own question, at least for the US (but I think it’s happening here too). Signage is driven by “successful” court cases. The “reasonable expectation”, apparently, is that the average person is a moron. Set up signage accordingly.

Of course every lift contains its load limit on a sign - so that if you put a baby elephant in the lift and that exceeds the load limit and the lift suffers catastrophic failure then everyone has their a*** covered.

3 Likes

I can’t see that a running commentary on the days of the lives of your neighbours is relevant to this forum. There are plenty of other places where you would get much attention for revealing all.

4 Likes

Hi @DJ.Scotty, since it does not appear you are seeking advice for clarity it would be helpful if you indicated your purpose in posting.

3 Likes

My opinion: Anything that gets into “duty of landlord” and disputes through residential tenancies (which differs from state to state) calls for professional advice.

Noone here is a lawyer and you know what they say: free advice is worth every cent

Nitpicking over what is a “gate” and what is a “door” is exactly what lawyers do. :wink:

4 Likes

Ditto,

I’m a little upset @DJ.Scotty had other information that was not initially shared. There’s effort and time by other members of the community that might have been better spent.

Hopefully @DJ.Scotty can obtain a satisfactory resolution through the owners Corporation and or VCAT (or which ever state).

4 Likes

Can’t wait to see ‘lifts unsuitable for baby elephants’ appearing in a lift near me in the future. Maybe they will just use along with hundreds of others:

3 Likes

There would probably be “community outrage” about fat-shaming and the sign would have to be removed.

2 Likes

but sir, I really thought it was just a baby! It was only 2,700kg. How was I to know it was a full grown adult African Forest Elephant? I thought it was a baby Bush elephant. Enter the silks.

4 Likes

High rise residential properties have at least one lift with a goods rating for moving property, furniture in and out. Bikes (types vary) might not be specifically excluded, subject to not being ridden. I’ve encountered surfboards, electric scooters and double fridges.

2700 kg might be a little on the heavy size for your pet, assuming it would leave room to close the doors. I’d be asking if pets were permitted by the Owners Corp - Body Corporate. Although these days those rules are also changing. It’s just a Great Dane with large ears and a runny nose. :wink:

4 Likes

This topic has now been closed. Thank you all for the discussion of issues. In this particular case the issues are best to be put to a competent Law person for their consideration, this site is not able to provide that level of support.