McAfee and Norton Antivirus Renewal Scams

Sometimes the emails appear to come from yourself, or at least a domain that you own, although I don’t use Microsoft’s email client

gordon

Mailbox Storage is 97% Full 2/23/2023 11:04:54 a.m. to continue
using gordon See storage guide to free up to 500.55 MB of storage.

Technical Team.

This email was sent to gordon@… .com

Attached was Mailbox Storage Guide.html, which I wont be opening!
They also asked me to enter my password in the email.

Checking the full header, I see it was from “RandiiAndii”

5 Likes

the sms were from unknow sources.
Once I sent them to abuse@telstra.com, things have improved.
thanks for the link to the government site too! I shall add them to my list of recipients for the next scam email

From Kmart today … 172x129

Dear Customer,

Congratulations! We have chosen 150 Australian consumers to
participate in a brief survey of Kmart Australia. All participants
will receive (1) optional reward. Choose between iPhone 14 Pro,
Samsung Galaxy S22 , Samsung QLED 4K Smart TV and
much more.

START ›

Remember: 150 randomly selected users received this invitation and the number of gift is limited.

So hurry up!

Amelia,
Customer support

Note: this post has been edited to remove embedded links to the promotion and a hidden link at the end. As advice to anyone posting details of potential scam emails or SMS please ensure any links are removed or edited to ensure they are not able to be unintentionally followed.
@mark_m Community Moderator.

4 Likes

I get about 6-10 of these every. Single. Day! At least half of them telling me its my last chance!

1 Like

I hope you did “hurry up” Charlie-Drake!

Hello Phil T
No they weren’t from Telstra.
I am a Telstra customer that’s why when we see adverts on TV suggesting that they are protecting us, I wonder what they are actually doing!

Got the same one today…

2 Likes

This is another received today. I have included it as it has an Australian phone number +61 8 6102 5212 which hopefully others will search to realise that it is a scam.

3 Likes

I get fed up with mcfee constantly asking to renew. How theycan harass is beyond me. I just keep saying remind later on

1 Like

Are you working with a real McAfee communications or responding to scammers pretending to be McAfee? You can tell by the email addresses and embedded URL links. My punt is you are seeing scams. If you think otherwise would you post the originating and reply to email addresses as well as the linked URLs (if any)?

3 Likes

Topic note: I tidied up an older McAfee and Norton Scams topic to remove extraneous back and forth and merged it into this more recent topic to make it more comprehensive of scams purporting to be from McAfee or Norton.

3 Likes

Yes I hear you. McAfee insists on sending me multiple ‘Last reminder’ emails every day. I only wish it were - the last reminder that is. Of course these are scams, the emails are not even from McAfee even though the body of them looks as though it could be. Thing is I do not have McAfee product!

4 Likes

I had protection many years ago and i have another computer. I doubt they are allowed to send reminder messages constantly. Ive never had a Norton one

I have started receiving Norton & McAfee renewal notices piggybacking on what appears to be a genuine Supercheap Auto sales email.

The address etc is from Supercheap, so it may get past spam filters. The subject is changed to something like “Without Norton, You are unprotected”. Under the Supercheap sale image, is another image of Norton with dire warnings - your computer has 21 viruses detected, renew today … etc. The link goes to a scam website, nothing to do with Norton. All reported to Scamwatch.

4 Likes

Since when has “not being allowed” ever stopped a scammer? That is the point. None of these emails are really from McAfee. I don’t even have McAfee security products on my devices. And I have had another 4 today!

3 Likes