Mattress review 2023

Choice indicated the reason for that was the negative feedback regarding the ‘sales and service’ rather than the product, listed under ‘bad points’ in the review.

You can search the Community for a topic about them for a flavour of the issues.

Also scan this topic for previous references.

2 Likes

Im curious about art science as it was reviewed with good points. To your recollection are tgey soft medium or hard. I prefer seeking advice from another member.

As you are essentially asking for non-choice reviews on what appear to be Choice reviewed products members are asked not to infringe on Choice IP. Some reviewed products do have member comments visible to subscribers.

1 Like

Hi Chris(5) - firmness is always subjective!!! Having played my get out of jail free card… on to answering your question. Art and Science offer a large range across 3 “quality” brackets (silver, gold and platinum). Each range offers the variety from soft to firm.

We DEFINITELY found the firm to be firm … and what I mentioned in my initial post stands as the basis. They accidentally built our first mattress as a firm instead of the medium we had ordered. Stark difference between the two, but the medium still comes across as firm with a little give vs the, I’m a plank, of the firm.

All up, I’d say they probably come out of the firmer side of expectation for most of the range, although if you wanted a soft / plush I don’t think you’d have any issues with the plush (soft).

1 Like

I’d like to see weight and thickness included in the review information provided. We bought a new mattress some years ago (That purchase was informed by a Choice review). When we got it home we found it was difficult to ‘make’ the bed as it was very heavy to lift when fitting the bed sheets. We also found that, with its pillow top, it was particularly thick and difficult to put our fitted sheets on to extent that I am concerned for the life of the sheets. Perhaps there could be an ‘ease-of-use’ score or similar included in the rating.

7 Likes

Good point. Many very nice mattresses are 2-sided and need to be flipped or rotated on a monthly schedule. If the ones Choice tests need similar maintenance, or if they do not, it should be noted in the good or bad points.

We have a king sized Makin Mattress that is really nice, not Choice tested, and although of modest weight as mattresses go we 2 seniors struggle flipping it. We ‘walked’ on some beaut products because it was obvious we could not manage their weight.

3 Likes

I had a double Makin Mattress and it was great for a while but as a solo I had a great deal of trouble flipping it, and because I was unable to do it according to the recommended schedule, the mattress became uncomfortable in very short order. I ended up advertising it on facebook Market as a freebie with all caveats available. I’ve also never been able to manage the weight of a sprung mattress ever since :frowning:

4 Likes