March 2023 Food Champion's Challenge: Food prices on the rise

Even though I live alone I have been checking supermarket specials and when my favourite product is half price I buy two . Very rarely pay full price even though at 1/2 price some things are what the full price used to be! I also try to buy Australian packaged and canned, especially if a home brand like Cole’s Australian diced tomatoes. If you have time to check home brands labels, they often have exactly the same ingredients and made in the same country, probably come from the same factory as much more expensive brands. Canned tuna is a good example and you can get exactly the same quality at a much lower price. Avoid buying pre-made salad kits. They seem to be made using leftovers especially by Aldi. You are paying for packaging and the dressing and very poor salad ingredients. Special bags will keep salads and vegetables longer in the fridge so make your own salads! I buy budget packs of chicken breasts, wings , crumbed tenderloins and lamb cutlets and place enough for one serve in a self seal plastic bag , date it and put into the freezer. I can use several if I have guests but when on my own it defrosts easily and a pack of meat lasts a few weeks. I usually cook in the airfryer instead of the oven. And I wash the self-seal plastic bags and reuse - saves money and planet!

4 Likes

Same here! I avoid paying full price for non-perishables like laundry powder, dishwashing liquids, toiletries, etc., by keeping a look out for specials when I’m about half way through those items.
And yes, home-brand canned food is a lot cheaper than well known brands and just as good.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: The groceries shrinking and getting more expensive in 2022