Laundry detergent reviews

FWIW Choice (and members) routinely report that 1/2 the ‘recommended dose’ usually works just fine. @grahroll already posted a link, but for those newer to the topic, the salient bit is (hotlinked to the Choice article)

Depending on which laundry detergent you choose, you may be able to use half (yes, half!) the recommended dose and still get a great wash, saving yourself money and giving the environment a bit of a break. In the past we’ve tested top performing laundry detergents and they performed just as well on all stains at half the recommended dose, while others performed well at half the dose on several types of stains.

4 Likes

There is the option of using liquid detergents which remove any poor issues of a powder dissolving properly.

Choice has reviewed and compared liquid and powdered clothes detergents (member content),

3 Likes

Wow, thanks for the quick replies guys. Yes I’ve just been reading the posts about using half the recommended amount of powder. One huge scoop did seem a bit excessive when I did the wash yesterday. I’ll definitely try half the amount on my next wash day. And if there’s no improvement, maybe I’ll give the liquid a go.

5 Likes

A post I did previously.

I believe the manufacturers’ suggested amounts would only ever be applicable for mechanics’ overalls or earthmoving workers’ hi viz clothes, and such like.

2 Likes

@airedale, I notice some detergent brands regularly disappear from the test updates to reappear later, Biozet for one. I understand all the reasons this might happen but when a product comes and goes because it is being reformulated (apparently regularly) is it a message that might be called out?

If any particular product has a high score in test after test it should be reassuring what one puts in their hand will be representative of the test. But if products are routinely being reformulated and come and go from tests or their performance varies widely between tests it suggests the consumer is essentially buying into a ‘lotto ticket’ that might or might not reflect the test, or anything for that matter, beyond pricing and the manufacturer’s details as a consumer could reasonably expect the product itself to be variable, eg reformulated with inconsistent results from time to time.

Your comments would, as always, be appreciated.

2 Likes

Hi @PhilT, you raise an important issue. Unfortunately we don’t always know when a product has been reformulated, which is why we re-test every year (they’re called fast moving consumer goods for a reason).
Reformulation aside, some of the variance can also be explained by inconsistencies in the manufacturing process or, though we try and buy ‘fresh’ detergents for the test, by the age of the product - active ingredients can degrade over time.
With regard to products coming and going from the results, as I mentioned we start from scratch each year. While our aim is to test the most popular products that are readily available, we are limited by the number of products we can test. Some years we just can’t include certain products due to the test capacity.
You’re certainly right in that a detergent that performs well year after year and test after test is a safe choice though.

3 Likes

Experiences.

Both are best pre-washed in the tub by hand in warm water. This releases most of the loose dirt and dust. For oil and grease stains pre treat with a spray or hand rub with laundry soap if missing out on gym during Covid. No need to rinse thoroughly before popping into the washer. The residual detergent plus a quarter to half scoop top up in the machine seems to work fine.

For those who have better things to do with their time…. And the space?
The alternative is to have two washing machines, with one reserved for the work clothes. Skipping the hand pre-wash the second machine can suffer with rapid build up of sludge and trapped dirt. ‘I hate slime!’ :ghost:

3 Likes

We have new laundry test results, here’s the best and the worst:

1 Like

Why didn’t you test ecostore detergent, the only one rated A by your ethical partner?

Is it OK to use front loading laundry deturgent in a top loading machine? I see you needs to be careful the other way around.

2 Likes

Hello @trying. Welcome.

You might look at the topic here. Sudsing and amount used are the key differences.

https://choice.community/t/laundry-detergent-reviews/17793/50

2 Likes

Welcome to the Community @trying

Choice has a Buyers Guide that should advise, and this topic starts with a link to the Choice [member content] review of detergents, updated 21 Aug 2021, and prior posts have related links, so have a read and hopefully your query will be sufficiently answered.

2 Likes

Some brands no longer specify their product for front loader or top loader including Radiant liquid which we used to use and Dynamo liquid which we now use.

The latest Choice tests show a big difference in efficiency between front loaders and top loaders in most cases.

2 Likes

No mention of BioZet? Is there a reason?

1 Like
2 Likes

Have you tested laundry detergents suitable for hand washing? I’m looking for a good detergent to use for items that cannot be machine-washed, as well as for camping and to have in case of emergencies, such as an extended power failure, etc.

Hi Brendan
I’m concerned that Biozet was left out of the laundry detergent reviews. The liquids might be great products but they all come in plastic containers whereas the powders are packaged in cardboard, a more sustainable choice.
I was keen to see how my boxed powder, Biozet, rated.

Kind Regards
Elizabeth

1 Like

Welcome to the Community @ElizaJAnt

That question about Biozet as well as other products comes up from time to time. Including in this topic, and you will find the reason here in the Choice staff reply.

Please continue the conversation and view the updated review here.