Latest Warning From Scamwatch. 26.10.2020

1 Like

I recently became aware of a scam, which others might be more familiar with. It involved investment in a financial products trading company, which has a seemingly well developed website, but no ABN. I contacted them to learn more about how cryptocurrency trading works, “invested” $300 to try the system, because very little information was forthcoming. Of course that’s good-bye to lots of coffees. Check it out for yourself at [URL removed] but keep your money for the coffee. The only thing I learned, which I didn’t already know is that they have lots of friends in other cities, including Singapore who are keen to ring and offer me their “products”. They were fairly nifty by getting me to send the money by bitcoin through an apparently genuine company, so I checked its ABN before sending the money, but didn’t check the original one until an hour later, when I became more suspicious. My advice to others: check the website for an address and ABN before becoming too interested. I guess we all knew, didn’t we?

3 Likes

The URL has been deleted.

Could you post a screenshot of the website so members can see the address but will not be inadvertenly taken to the site?

It is to reduce the chances of anyone wilfully visiting and succumbing to such sites that URLs are removed. To show how slick they can look, their front page:

1 Like

A hard lesson learnt? There is an existing topic about identifying sus web sites. While shopping was the focus it applies to all sorts.

3 Likes

Amongst a plethora of fake reviews, I found this one.

Very similar to the disgusting Bitcoin scams.

4 Likes

Well found @fred123, and that reinforces @GraemeK53’s post.

3 Likes