June 2023 Food Champions Challenge, Sandwiches: what is your favourite type of sandwich?

Yes, that’s a nice one too.

I also liked the one my dad used to make for me for a quick lunch: similarly to French toast he’d dip a ham&cheese sandwich into a mixture of a lightly beaten egg and some milk and then pan fry it with a knob of butter until delightfully golden brown :yum:

3 Likes

Isn’t that a Monte Cristo?

3 Likes

Could have been a mixture of French inspired fried sandwiches, like the croque monsier, but I remember that milk was being added which I don’t think a Monte Cristo uses. Anyway, I was too young to know what it was called, but I remember that it was tasty!

1 Like

No egg or egg wash, if SBS Food can be relied upon. Add an egg on top to turn it into a madame.
Jamón croque monsieur | SBS Food

Enjoy, what ever one calls it, - ham, cheese, white bread, butter, (egg), …… - a cardio special might also be apt. :joy:

2 Likes

Sounds about right. Had them in southern US a few times, and were a blessed relief when in Mexico to take a break from the endless parade of corn bread and chili dishes.

I vote for a simple, old fashioned sandwich : Thin everything - buttered white, sliced bread, tomato, salad onion and cold corned beef, with a sprinkle of sale and pepper. Instead the array in the cold cabinet is focaccias filled with roasted veggies, bacon, sloppy tomato and every other conceivable thing a fridge holds. The last one I bought had slightly off roquette and oozed mayo.

4 Likes

That’s what I think of too, buttered sliced bread and thinly sliced fillings.

Quite different from the one in the photo which is from a sandwich chain owned by a direct descendant of John Montague, 4th Earl of Sandwich.

Reminds me of the cheesesteak in Philadelphia: scrumptious ribbons of beef steak plus Philly cheese, served in a freshly baked, crusty, baguette style bread :yum:

4 Likes

YUMMMM, I forgot about that one. I had it at the East Ferry Deli in Jamestown, RI. Gawd… many moons ago, now. I don’t think Bob made his own bread but it didnt matter, it was delish!

Dammit, now I am going to have to go hunting for a philly cheesesteak, and I bet theres nobody making them in Newcastle :frowning:

4 Likes

One can always ask. It might start a trend. The pub at Jesmond known for its burgers has always responded to one discerning customers requests to modify the contents.

I’d also settle for a hot chip butty with generous serve of spicy tomato sauce. Spiro’s - once at the Civic on Hunter Street.

Both can be home made, with a serve from the local chippy a short cut to the hard part for the butty.

4 Likes

Actually had my Philly Steak sandwich in Philadelphia during a tour of the East Coast in 2018. The place was just around the corner from Independence Hall. The Americans are very generous with food serving sizes and there was a lot of scrumptious beef in the sandwich, also served with crispy onion rings and golden chips.:yum:

4 Likes

STOP IT!
You’re all killing me here!
I’m practically STARVING!

2 Likes

Cold meat cheese tomatoes. Black pepper ground. Either toasted or un toasted.

2 Likes

I don’t think they are made the same anymore. As a kid, we made jaffles all the time when camping and they were perfect. A couple of years back I bought a double set. I just couldn’t get a descent jaffle out of it. Very disappointed. The bread kept sticking. Maybe they were cast iron back then, I don’t know.

Good old Vegemite sandwich

1 Like