January 2024 Food Challenge: To sauce or not to sauce

An SA tradition or legendary true? Pie floater - Wikipedia.

There’s more than one way to eat a pie - local variations and personal preferences included. When eaten in the hand the quality of the casing and stickiness of any sauce might make all the difference between a happy meal and much slurping followed by finger licking as the substandard pie dissolves into the palm of the hand, sauce included.

As an aside gourmet pies may come in a porcelain pot with no casing. Just a puff pastry or other top to seal in the goodness. Spoon my choice of eating implement. Sauce to suit usually included with the order.

1 Like

To me a Pie Flouter is an aberration: it’s the opposite of a pie with sauce on top, it is a pea sauce with a pie on top :laughing:

3 Likes

I read somewhere years ago to hold a pie upside down when eating. Surprisingly, it does make it easier!

3 Likes

My favourite is home made creamy chicken and leek pie . No sauce needed but a salad makes it into a meal.

6 Likes

Mmmm … the ‘like’ function needs some extra options, including :yum:.
:smiley:

4 Likes

Love a good Mexican pie, no need for sauce

5 Likes

Welcome @CrazyRatLady

For some of us perhaps an extra splash of Mexican chilli sauce would also be welcome. Tolerance for spices varies in our household. Providing the choice of the right sauce caters for all preferences.

We have a favourite breakfast pie - the Ned Kelly a beef steak pie with bacon, cheese and whole egg topping in place of the pastry cap. Hard not to reach for the tomato or Worcestershire sauce or which ever one might top bacon and eggs with. Chilli jam also goes great with the egg topping.

3 Likes

Generally prefer chunky beef to mince with a curry or pepper sauce but a nice lamb rosemary or chicken camembert also hits the spot. If it’s plain I may add Spicy Red sauce. The sign of a good pie for me is a light flaky pastry that doesn’t break your teeth and doesn’t ooze everywhere. I also have memories of having a pie floater from the cart in the middle of the street at 2am in the city but alas it is there no more.

4 Likes

Mr Z is the pie eater in our family and lately prefers the Baked Provisions frozen pies in either Curried Chicken & Veg or Steak & Bacon. Unfortunately no longer stocked by our shop as they were dearer than Mrs Macs & 4’n’20. He refuses sauce. I rarely eat a pie but have tomato sauce on plain pies.

4 Likes

Yummo! We can get a Ned Kelly about 1/2 hours drive from here. They are spectacular. Hubby always adds (usually) a habanero sauce to his.

2 Likes

more attention to the handling of a pie…a crumbly pie that lets the filling run down ones arms is a turnoff even if the taste is good…a good pastry should allow for a pie to be eaten with one hand and remain a pie instead of a handful of stew.

5 Likes

Welcome to the community @Pactopl5570 and thanks for your input .

4 Likes

Butter chicken or honey roasted pumpkin with spinach and feta from Hayden’s pies in Ulladulla. All their pies are wonderful.

5 Likes

Tomato and onion, please, no sauce. Please not just a token piece of tomato and of onion. If that’s run out I’d go for chicken and veg.

And preferably well constructed so it doesn’t fall apart in your hands.

6 Likes

Pepper steak with thin flaky pastry lid.

6 Likes

During a recent holiday along the coast from Sydney up to the Queensland border, we had an excellent chunky steak pie bought at the Dorrigo Bakery in Dorrigo and another excellent pie - steak and egg pie at Nimbin. There was whole egg in the pie. On a recent trip back from Victoria we went off the highway to look at the small town of Chiltern. There we bought a delicious steak and kidney (with chunks of steak and chunks of kidney) pie from the Chiltern Bakery. Those 3 pies are more than we have bought in the previous 20 years!

4 Likes

Homemade beef, mushroom and egg pie I always serve with a “sauce” of sour cream with finely chopped spring onions and pickled cucumbers.
Shop bought beef pies and sausage rolls do need a generous blob of tomato sauce in my experience

5 Likes

Actually my favourite pie is home made egg and bacon - flaky pastry, pieces of bacon on base, then eggs, more bacon strips. Finished off with salt and pepper and most importantly finely chopped parsley. This does not need sauce of any description.

6 Likes

Pie Floater is great, or was, back in the day - big night, feeling merry, standing at the pie cart on Victoria Square or outside the Adelaide Railway Station at some ridiculous hour … Haven’t had one in some years, the pie carts of old seem to have vanished. I guess these days its all about avocados and the like …

For sauce? Mrs Balls !!! or something from Beerenberg, so many choices, but always in moderation - unless its a bad cardboard pie, in which case skip the pie and the sauce :wink:

4 Likes

Only tomato sauce on a meat pie, steak and kidney. Not if its a variant

3 Likes