It looks like a Woolworths survey with chance to win $500 gift card

Just got one today. This is the text…

On Tue, 13 Sep, 2016 at 7:12 am, Woolies Team
info@ds.dealbreaker.online wrote:
Can’t you see the email correctly? Open the content in your browser.

Click here if you consider this email as UNWANTED.
To unsubscribe from our newsletters, follow this link

_ _

A lovely surprise for you to say thank you for being our valuable customer.
_ _
£500 Gift Card
Dear phbriggs2000@xxxxxxxxx,

Vista-Fun is celebrating the 30th anniversary as the Fresh Food people.

Because of that this month we have started our giveaway time.
Every week we randomly select 30 customers who like to shop at Woolworths.

And this week it is your turn. You are one of the customers who has this great chance to
WIN A $500 WOOLWORTHS GIFT CARD

CONFIRM
_ _
This offer will expire soon so be fast.
If any of the participants fail to confirm their invitation, we will pass the chance to another customer.
Gift Cards cannot be exchanged for cash.
Subscribe for 3x$5 msg/wk+$5 signup, 25c/msg sent. $5/ extra requested quizzes. Minimum age 18+. Stop by sending stop to 19711200. Help? 1300099846.

_ _
To unsubscribe from our newsletters, follow this link

Looks like double bait…one to confirm email address is operational and other registering for premium text service.

My junk mail filter recognised it as junk email and also noticed tgat they must have cut and pasted from an email they used in the UK (pounds and dollars used in text).

2 Likes

There are quite a few of these getting around. Biggest rort, ignore them if they ask you to call a 1900 number.
Michele Kett

The worst part about these scammers is that they look legit. I received one telling me I had won a prize. Enter some details and then it says no you are only entering the comp. Back track out but then bombarded by everything under the sun. Hate it.

I have simple rule, which I’ve luckily never been stung before and that is anything on facebook or unsolicited email claiming to give you free stuff I just delete and move on. Also do not “like and share” when someone sends you a pic that says like and share.

1 Like

I NEVER unsubscribe from these emails; it just confirms to the scammer that they have a live target. Sometimes I Reply to the sender (but NOT by clicking on a link) and tell them what I think of them. They could well have had their email address misused (spambot) without their knowledge. Then I block them in my Mail application. No problems so far, touch wood.

3 Likes

The “Fill in this short survey” is still going around - my ISP, Spam ware & virus checker all missed it, so it appeared in my inbox as legit. As I shop at IGA regularly and have been invited to do some comprehensive surveys for the local shop, I wasn’t surprised, only realised it was a scam when it asked for my date of birth, the clock was ticking (which meant no time to read the T&C’s you have to agree to), the number of $500 cards being issued was counting down … A very slick presentation.

IGA have a statement on their website under Announcements (I thought they should put it under Competitions) saying it is unauthorised and it has been reported. I usually check the promoter’s website to see if a competition/survey is legitimate, but got it round the wrong way this time.

5 Likes

I’ve had them in my email box also. How do these scammers get our email address is what I’d like to know ?

Good question. I suspect it is because someone we know has Cc:d us and a lot of other people at some time and one of the recipients has fallen for a scam like this, thus opening the door to the scammer to get the other email addresses. That’s what has happened to me, despite me imploring, pleading with and threatening the original author with GBH (grievous bodily harm) if they don’t stop it and Bcc: people instead.

2 Likes

Thanks petermac
I block everything from Woolworths now that looks like it except for my weekly specials list. Maybe I will unsubscribe from those also.

Basically they purchase the addresses or they use a “robot” that generates possible email addresses. An email address is worth from a part of a cent to a few cents to buy if it comes with login information. If it is what they term “Fullz” or “Fullzinfo” it can be around $15 - $50 (this includes email address, password, billing address, Credit Card, Pin, CVV, Mothers Name, Date of Birth and more) see this LINK from a 2015 article.

Almost everyone uses their email address to register at online portals. When you sign up you agree to their T & C’s and these broadly allow them to sell/provide your details to their associates, marketers, other advertisers and so on.

This may start out with legitimate businesses but it quickly is sold on to less secure companies/people who do not have good security or who may have less than scrupulous business morals and the address detail is stolen or sold.

As I have said in previous posts on Choice Community replying or unsubscribing to these emails is fraught with danger (starting from the annoyance of more spam and escalating to the theft and illegal use of your identity).

Certainly report them (Australian Communications and Media Authorty’s reporting address is here report@submit.spam.acma.gov.au ), forward them to the relevant spam reporting addresses (most online portals such as Banks, Amazon, and similar have reporting addresses) and then delete them, but never respond to them.

3 Likes

The email “invitations” I am getting come from invitation@customer-research.org with the “click to enter/start” http://track.campaign-statistics.com (with a long string of characters).

They are very well targeted. I am getting them purporting to be from companies I regularly deal with and regularly get email news from. I have not received any from companies I have no on-going contact with (which I would have deleted straight away). My spam, virus & adware checkers all miss it, despite me marking as Junk, my system has failed to “learn” this. They have all turned up at 5:30am. Assume they are timing this to take advantage of time poor people checking email before rushing off to work.

I googled both addresses and very little comes up. They are not registering on the Scam radar. Scamwatch rates the website as 40% safe, downgraded by being located in Lithuania but not for suspicious activity.

They are either very smart or are buying up customer email/profiles. I have reported them to the various Spoof@company

3 Likes

Just delete them. Your chances are better with a scratchy, and less time consuming - it only takes 3 seconds to recognize one. They’re difficult to block because they change “from” addresses all the time.These stores don’t conduct such surveys so you can be sure they are all phishing expeditions, money makers (for them) or malware.

Most email clients allow you to use filters to help sort legit from spam. Use a filter term that blocks/redirects the email based on common phrases eg “Woolworths Gift Card” + $500 and that should help dispense with the problem by directing the emails with these terms to either your junk mail or trash file. You probably can add Aldi Gift Card, Target Gift Card, and similar terms

Hey me too, so annoying, I’m really careful with things usually but woolies does send those sort of things so it sucked menin. Now deleting 10-30 emails a day. Did unsubscribing really work for you?

1 Like

If it looks to good to be true is most likely is. Check the “from” email address and the “to” address by right-clicking the “reply” link. Big companues like taking your money, not giving it away :slight_smile:

I have an old email account that gets about 10 of these a week from Woolworths, Bunnings, Jaguar, Coles, Nespresso, Myer, Ford, Dyson, Samsung and the like. Fortunately my mail app assumes they are Junk and deposits them in that folder. I assumed they were so prevalent that I just delete them weekly without opening.

1 Like

I have seen this scam also @jen… I saw the promotional ‘offer’ through my main email address; did not identify the scam email as spam (should spam folders be considered as scam guards? No.)
Seems Wollies wants to take money from consumers… or… it was an intentional scam set up by scammers, not Woolworths.
Either way, it’s still disconcerting.

3 Likes