Is lean beef mince worth the higher price compared to 'normal' mince?

Same here, I would always trim off as much fat as I could from my portion of leg ham/beef steak. Went as far as poking-out the fat in the slice of the large sausage (mortadella) in my sandwich. Any fat/greasy food stops my appetite.
And yet, a few years ago a routine blood test showed my cholesterol level to be 9mml/L.
With the appropriate medication my cholesterol is now down to normal but I do avoid too much fat in my diet and that’s the reason I mince my own meat.
Years ago I bought a Kenwood meat grinder which works beautifully. I buy very lean meat and if making meat balls i keep the meat soft by adding a lightly beaten egg, some breadcrumbs soaked in milk, a good amount of grated cheese, good drizzle of olive oil, plus herbs and spices and seasoning.
For a ‘bolognese’ the right amount of evoo will add the richness and moisture the sauce needs.
I’m just not comfortable with ready minced meat whether lean or normal from the supermarkets…and there are practically no butcher shops left near me to get them to mince my meat. Besides, we do get some of the meat that’s already in the mincer from the previous customer as it doesn’t all run through completely.

2 Likes

Please tell me more about this Kenwood meat mincer, and the cuts of meat you use.

I am fed up with the mince available these days from the supermarkets, and for that matter any butchers near me.

I bought mine some years ago from the Good Guys. Same model as the link but I notice it now has two speeds, mine has only one. Does have 3 mincer screens for fine, med, coarse.

Yes it makes a bit of a noise but doesn’t take long to mince so it shouldn’t be a problem.

A tip: I place the mincer body, cutter, screen and scroll, in the freezer about 15 min before using so that everything is nice and cool while mincing. (But I do not freeze the meat.)

I use silverside, topside, sirloin, because it’s lean meat, but brisket, chuck, blade, can be used, in fact it minces any cut you prefer, you’ll notice a big difference from the mince we buy at the shops.

5 Likes

Fat costs less than muscle meat, so lean mince obviously costs more. Taking out fat, with its fat soluble vitamins, and taste, is just as dumb as low fat milk. Super Butcher rarely sells “proper” mince now, always lean.

I bought some mince from Aldi last week. It was really nice. 3star better than woolies or coles.

2 Likes

I don’t like mince it churns my stomach