Is it cheaper to buy a smartphone outright?

As @suzique previously posted, check the next Aldi Super Pack. $99, 15GB data, unlimited talk and text for 12 months.

Yeah I had that last year, used 3GB of the available 80. LOL! I’m happy with $10/month. I just don’t need the data. which is why I probably wont go past Woolies now until something cheaper comes along. I know Aldi is cheaper but I find it confusing.

1 Like

How so?

Hi @BrendanMays, well that’s 42 replies. The first reply was in 2018. Has the coveted BS award been awarded yet, and if so, and what was your selection criteria? If not yet awarded, might I politely suggest you put a cutoff time on your “challenges”, given the last reply was a few hours ago. Keeping a topic active for ~2 years seems a tad excessive; perhaps it’s time to archive it.

Well, theres the fee you pay to have the service, and then you pay more to get a “pack” of whichever kind. You can’t just go right in and buy the $99 pack for example, without first having bought the sim and paid that fee ($15 or $30?). I dont know if the fee has to be paid every year, its never been clear to me.

I disagree. @BrendanMays updated it with new information 17 days ago and some of us are responding to that. Also, I am offended by your comment. “BS award” in this thread? Why?

1 Like

Hi @Albie,
Doesn’t the mobile phone market balance change over time? Do users needs also differ?

It’s often too easy to see just the one point of view. Fortunately the community does provide room for all to express how as consumers their needs might be best met.

I have a mobile on a plan with a big name carrier, and we have another on a prepaid long term plan for $180 for 12months. It’s good to know there are low cost options. If you live week to week as many more now do, value is what you can afford.

I also had a great deal on the post paid plan which is about to expire, but it’s not the cheapest way to go.

I expect this topic will be an ongoing challenge.

That is not how it works. You buy the $99 pack. I do not remember if it includes a SIM or you need to buy that separately, but $2 regardless if you do. Nothing else to buy over the year unless you use all 15GB of data. Then you can add a data pack to last the rest of the year. You can also set auto-recharge for when the year is up. Unused data rolls over to the next year. Simples :wink:

The only catch is the first time you ‘sign up’ for a value pack it has to be when Aldi is offering it. Last time (?) was 11 Dec ‘until all sold’. They are usually available for a month or more before all sold. The packs have many months of validity before one has to activate them - the expiration date for activation clearly shown on the box. The 12 months starts from when activated.

1 Like

Ok. Can I buy the $2 sim (well, its $5 everywhere I’ve seen it) and then just get, say, a $15 value pack, and just keep renewing that ad infinitum?

It could have gone up since I got mine long ago.

Sure. Then it works like any other prepaid plan but since you indicated you only use about 3GB data p.a. you would be paying ($15*12=$180 p.a.) not $99 for the same useful service.

You could also buy the SIM and a $15 pack and renew it until a $99 value pack was offered, and then activate the value pack when a $15 pack expired.

FWIW I have no relationship to Aldi or any other business and offered this only because you indicated you are cost sensitive, so just trying to help through avoiding misconceptions.

1 Like

That’s all I did with my wife’s phone. We’re only just now switching her to a monthly plan elsewhere as her usage has upped, but for years the Aldi plan was quite sufficient.

Just bear in mind that the usage metering is very poor compared to a monthly prepaid - from memory a $15 credit only gets you a few hundred MB of data, and calls are metered at 12c/min.

Oh sorry, sounds like you’re talking about a different Aldi plan. I was referring to the Pay as you Go $15 / year pack

1 Like

Right you are. The $15 pack is a 30 days plan described here.

Right. I don’t want that monthly, I was just trying to understand how it works. I had Boost which was good, but I just didnt use it much. Now with Woolies because I like their app, and the rep on Whirlpool is brilliant, if you have questions. Also, autorecharges are reliable. Theres a lot to like about the Woolies prepaid service.

1 Like

Hi @mark_m, you are correct that things change over time. That is why I think there should be time limit with these challenges. After 2 years the very simple question raised initially has not been answered. At least I think that the case, given the large number and length of the replies I’ve found it impossible to wrap my head around it. If these challenges were limited to say 6 moths, then the replies could be collated, analysed and an award made which summarises the topic and provides the logic for the award selection. I understand this is a bit of work but at least we would have an answer, which I for one, would be particularly grateful as I have often pondered the very question.

As you say, things change over time, but this doesn’t mean the topic can’t be reactivated e.g 6 moths ago we posed this question. Is the response still valid?

At the moment I’m suffering from information overload and I think we can do much better resolve the question in a far more timely fashion.

Sorry for not replying to the other people at this point. Apparently the number I responses I can post is limited. They will have to wait until the Administrative Gods give me access again.

Hi @SueW, my reasoning is provided below in Reply 55. I also find the term BS a bit off putting but on the original post the winner is to receive a BS Buster Award. If the community is happy with this terminology I’m happy to go along with it.

Not just this topic in the Myth Defied category but also others stay open. Recognition via BS Buster badges may be given to more than one single contribution. Does there need to be an end point if a topic is generating ongoing interest?

Reading this topic from the beginning a number of contributors were recognised previously around post no 25.

This suggests the initial goal has been achieved.
There have been more posts since. Obviously there is ongoing interest in the topic.

2 Likes

Thanks @mark_m. Found it! I’m happy now. I think I need to check out the Boost recharge option.

For me continuing the thread obscures the obscures the answer. Could the topic be moved to continue or perhaps the topic resolution be placed at the top?

This is the link to the Boost website…

2 Likes

Hi @Albie, interesting comments that could be applicable to a few topics. I made them explicitly visible in the moderators group. A while back there was discussion about mega-threads vs many shorter ones, for example.

Comments on how the forum is arranged, your user experience, and suggestions can best be posted in Site Feedback.

2 Likes