Indoor infrared heaters

Questions on products promoted as “far infra red” heater panels have come up in several other discussions.

Choice has a comprehensive article on home heating options. The guide includes links to useful guides and product reviews.

There’s no overall advice on IR panel heaters, marketed as alternatives to other home heating options. They can be permanent IE fixed installs or removable in which instance limited to the same 2kW - 2.4kW of other portable electric heaters.

Presently:

I’ve taken another look at some of the consumer questions/feedback and also some of the online marketing claims for IR panels in Australia. The next winter is some time away. Some of the marketing claims sparked my dim memories of thermodynamics.

I was wondering if Choice might like to take another look at the products being promoted locally. They may be a small market. They may provide a niche solution circumstances dependant. I’m left asking if the marketing however stretches the bounds of scientific endeavour into a virtual space where the laws of thermodynamics are broken. In which instance, even for a small market, consumers might be well served with an alternate accounting of the facts. I may not be alone in these thoughts. Infrared heating: don't get excited

@BrendanMays do others or those from the Choice team see an opportunity to look at this further for next years updated guide and reviews? I’m not suggesting a test program. Only a need for an informed and critical assessment of the product marketing claims, and to put the products into proper place/context alongside the alternatives.

2 Likes