Identifying offshore ecommerce sites

I will add a few more flags for other readers new to the thread who might be buying from off shore sites.

Digi Inspirations is not registered for GST but is an Australian registered business. A google on that company name returns refurbiphones.com.au and the ABN lookup information. ASIC is not helpful unless one is willing to pay. (Another case of our our tax dollars hard at work making ‘product’ for us to buy, but that should be another topic)

An Australian company needs to be registered for GST if their turnover exceeds $75,000 p.a., and since they are not registered they are more likely a very small operation, or not in compliance.

Whilst perusing their web site it virtually assaults one with recent orders showing [name] from [place]. If those were dinkum I could not imagine that one of the following is not applicable - they are misrepresenting orders or they are not in compliance with GST. $75,000/365 is only $205.50 per day, an average of 1 or 2 sales per day?

Further their warranty is their in-house Hong Kong warranty not Australia and no reference to the normal Australian disclaimers and assurances, nor mention of the ACL.

I hope pointing out such flags may be helpful for some. At the end of the day some of these offshore sites are reliable and trustworthy and just seem dodgy from what I politely would call amateurism, while others are just dodgy and could deliver product as advertised or otherwise, but neither service nor warranty.

Last advice is never pay by direct deposit given any other choice, avoid sites that only take direct deposit (nb. this is not one of them), and start disputes sooner than later if you become uncomfortable with your transaction.

Keep the odds in your favour by checking web site / company reviews and for bona fide details to know who and what you are dealing with to the best of your ability. You make your bet and take your chances case by case.

I hope this helped at least one reader, cheers.

7 Likes