How does Choice determine it's product recommendations

Thankyou.

1 Like

Hi @Mustang , thanks for your patience.
I’ve had a chance to have a look at the scoring for the Breville BPR700 and BPT650 and I think I’ve gotten to the bottom of the issue - while it seems they’re pretty closely matched, with the BPR700 outperforming the BPT650 in a couple of metrics, it scored significantly lower than the PBT650 in the ‘pressure cooking brown rice’ score (a sentence I never thought I’d write). This was enough to drag it’s overall score down to just below that of the PBT650.
I could be wrong but I believe part of the confusion comes because there’s no aggregate cooking performance score listed, the tooltip for the Choice Expert Rating could be clearer and all the cooking scores are not displayed on the product card in the product finder - you need to click into the product or look at the compare all table to see them. So unlike dishwashers where I messed the data up, the scores for pressure cookers are correct, if a little tricky to interpret.
I hope this helps - let me know if my explanation, like the score calculations, isn’t clear.

4 Likes

Hi Ash no problem, thanks for getting back to me. It seems you’ve identified the problem

and the solution. Displaying only some cooking scores - displaying all of them would be unwieldy - can lead to confusion as in this case so an aggregate (‘cooking’ or whatever applies) score with a footnote to suggest where more details can be found to explain that score would seem to be a good way of conveying the overall rating and also avoiding this issue in the future.

Cheers!

6 Likes

Good to hear. As I said, not my wheelhouse but I agree, and I’ll pass your suggestion on to the relevant person.

3 Likes

Hi all, I’ve not followed this entire thread so my reply is based on the last few bits of discussion regarding multi-cookers. We’ll look into improving the explanations for this. Most products we test in the kitchen do have an overall cooking score but with multi-cookers, not every test is relevant to every product, so if we display an aggregate cooking score it we need to make that clear. Multi-cookers can be a lot of things these days - air fryers, slow cookers, pressure cookers, rice cookers, even breadmakers. The list of things we need to investigate becomes greater, but not products can do everything (you’ll see an ‘na’ in that cooking score field, for example not all have a ‘high’ slow cook mode). One of the challenges with increasingly complex products!

3 Likes