How Do You Keep an old iMac / Windows Safe

Worth a try. Crossover is really just the same idea as Wine. Under the covers it is Wine.

Some of us obviously prefer not to eat fruit, including Apples. I remain curious that the web has plenty of positive advice from recognised commentators. IE to those using Apple products on the ability to run Windows and Windows apps/programs on M1 hardware using a supportive VM.

We can agree to have different preferences. If there is a serious concern, why not take it up with some of those offering the positive view point to the wider web community?

Either way, it appears our options to live in yesterdays Windows or OSX worlds are very limited.

Since the Community is not a technical support forum such topics easily stray from solutions to discussion and opinion :wink:

Microsoft, Apple, the linux community and distros, and applications companies each have their own forums for feedback, how tos, and feature requests.

Perhaps a summary of ‘How do you keep an old iMac / Windows safe’ is to buy currently supported equipment and software since it probably cannot be done otherwise, at least for the typical user.

1 Like

On the contrary, the options are available to do almost anything you want to do.
Got a PC architecture machine? Want to run Windows, or MacOS, or linux or some other Unix variant, or poor old OS/2 or even old 16bit Dos, you can do it. Or maybe just the applications written to run on those operating systems.
Got an Apple Mac? Same thing. There are virtual machines, emulators, translators, to run almost anything you want.

Internet sites and techos report on what can be done. And they do their own testing to report that it works. Sometimes the techo on the site will comment on the downside. Like some things did not work. Or that the actual software vendor doesn’t support what was done.
Good ones will. Most will not.

1 Like

Same idea, better implementation I think. Anyway… I looked to see if the OPs stock app would work with it… seems not.

VMWare has a free version called VMWare player. I have not tried it out (yet) because I don’t think I have any Windows apps anymore, much less a Windows OS of any kind.

1 Like

VMware player is of no use in this situation.
It only runs on PC machines, not Macs.
And only runs with Windows or Linux operating systems as the host, and doesn’t run MacOS as a guest.
Which is the total opposite of the OP’s setup.

Pity.

VMWare Fusion then. I have used it, though I also once had a licence for Parallels… I preferred VMWare Fusion. Not cheap, but it does do a good job. its at v12.2 now, the last one I used was v8. It is not yet available for M1 macs, but theres a tech preview so hopefully it would not be long.