How do you eat your baked beans?

Usually eaten for breakfast as “cheesy” bbs, with grated tasty cheese added, on toast. We’ve been getting the no sugar variety. Sometimes, rarely, eaten cold from the can for a quick lunch. I’ve added them to soups and other vego mixes too when I’ve run out of white beans or four bean mix.

3 Likes

With baked potatoes, sometimes adding grated cheese, sautéed onions and steamed broccoli.
Ate baked beans every week until many years ago brand changed something and I found them repulsive. Have been hesitant to buy again. Can’t remember the brand.

2 Likes

I put them in my mouth, chew them and then swallow them.

3 Likes

Hi,
Firstly I only eat Heinz baked beans in barbeque sauce. I make toast but only put a thin smear of margarine on it. Then I grate cheddar cheese over it. I microwave the beans in a bowl (get them really hot so it melts the cheese). I cut the toast in half and only put beans on the slice I’m eating, that way you don’t end up with soggy toast. If you want real decadence put half a teaspoon of butter in the beans and mix (real butter, not margarine) until dissolved. One word “YUMMO”.

3 Likes

Usually with eggs on English muffins then cover the lot with good old Aussie SPC Baked Beans.

3 Likes

Welcome to the community @Pachy.

Yes, the addition of a slice or two of cheese is a great taste starter. In moderation, I’ll go the grated Romano or similar style Pecorino. Crunchy toast around here relies on older bread, left after toasting in the raised slot, or stood up aside for 30-60 seconds to dry out. Not quite crouton crunchy but effective.

1 Like

Aldi BB equal to SPC, on toast or a side for big brekky with mushies, tomato, egg,bacon

2 Likes

A little off topic. Most of Aldi’s canned products are imported. Similar for the other brands, although SPC are produced in Australia. Despite being a significant producer of agricultural product Australia has chosen to produce irrigated cotton and other crops and not so many beans for canning.

Choice did a BB product review, now somewhat dated.
https://www.choice.com.au/food-and-drink/groceries/snack-foods/articles/baked-beans
There’s also a seperate community topic with shared views on brand preferences. For those interested in continuing discussion.
Baked beans review

1 Like

I’m an aldi shopper (along with other supermarkets) and have never noticed the bbq sauce baked beans there. On my next shop I will try some and let you know. Of course being from Aldi they’ll be cheaper too. Thanks for the tip.

1 Like

My favourite way is cold, from the can straight onto hot toast!

3 Likes

I buy the Heinz English Recipe Baked Beans. Love them with Jacket Potatoes, Sausage or Pie and mashed potato, an English Breakfast or just on toast. Probably have a serve at least once every 2 weeks. Yum!

3 Likes

Since I was a child in the 1950s, I have only eaten Watties Baked Beans, either on toast or in a toasted sandwich. And, of course, in school lunch sandwiches or straight from the tin. Everything else tastes anemic by comparison.

1 Like

Recently gone to Heinz with no added sugar. As others have said, nice microwaved with cheese, usually tasty or sometimes Parmesan. With toast. If I’m especially hungry I’ll eat them cold, out of the tin. I also love a fresh bread bb sandwich.

1 Like

Your article states that Black and Gold Baked Beans are 65 cents. This is incorrect. Like Aldi, which also bounced up the price of its house brand baked beans from 65 cents to $1.10 in one or two rapid swoops, IGA has well exceeded the inflation rate.

1 Like

I love a nice slice of buttered toast. Put baked beans (SPC is my preferred) then a slice of cheese, a slice of tomato on the cheese and lightly grill so the cheese slightly melts.

2 Likes

Sounds delicious, @pekay. My version has the cheese on the (home-made wholemeal grainy) toast, melted by the heated BBs. A teaspoonful of home-made chilli sauce added to the baked beans sauce contributes a bit of a zing. :yum:

1 Like

SPC makes baked beans from navy beans grown in Kingaroy Queensland

Australia has had difficulty supplying the local demand for navy beans. Due to seasonal variation, planted area, as well as cost.

47% Australian ingredients, but 50% beans.
SPC Baked Beans Rich Tomato 220g | SPC

Perhaps SPC need an update if they are sourcing some or all of their Haricot/Navy beans from Kingaroy or Wide Bay & Burnet regions of QLD. It’s unlikely the region could assure year round supply?

1 Like

“Experts at Heinz” have firm ideas about the right way to serve baked beans, and most people have been doing it wrong, apparently.

2 Likes