Household products with button batteries fail CHOICE safety test

Duracell have released some, but maybe only in the USA so far ?

5 Likes

A better response than doing nothing but worse than making the batteries unable to be easily removed from the objects they are in and also making equipment that doesn’t need them eg rechargeable in place batteries. Of course if they are left outside safe packaging or removed from their housings and left around then unpalatable becomes better than nothing again.

I however have seen children swallow things that wouldn’t get within barge pole distance of my mouth, nothing is perfect so sometimes bad things happen regardless of the steps we take to prevent them. So if it helps then it isn’t a bad thing just it shouldn’t be the whole reliance.

2 Likes

An article regarding a child dying from ingesting a toilet cleaner capsule.

https://www.9news.com.au/world/toddler-dies-after-swallowing-toilet-cleaner-capsule-first-reported-case-in-the-world/3d1e2410-81fc-49e8-9641-72b4ca82bec5

And toy magnets as per many recalls in Australia.

The problem is wider than just the button battreies.

Well yes. I doubt that bitter or nasty taste will be totally effective. There are cases of children drinking kerosene or petrol. Having got a tiny sip in my mouth I cannot imagine how they would swallow it.

You have just made the point that really needs to be hammered home.

Ensuring that battery buttons outside any devices are stored out of reach of children AND store those devices out of reach and only allow children to use said devices under strict supervision.

My child (now a teen) has autism and I was still able to get the message through that button batteries do not go in mouths. Some parents need to take a more proactive role in protecting their children. Don’t have a go at me for this view. You know we can’t legislate for the lowest denomination all the time.

As much as I am happy that Choice has won with the securing of button batteries in devices, my rheumatoid arthritic hands really hate the childproof battery packaging. However, if it saves one life, it’s worth it.

5 Likes

I couldn’t agree more regarding parents taking a more proactive role (in some cases, actually taking the role in the first place) - given that, it has been interesting in the last year or so watching the cost-benefit tradeoffs health officials and bureaucrats have made, the arguments to and fro about individual/personal impact vs economic impact which still leads to personal impact but on a larger scale - the balance of restrictions/controls/actions and outcomes is certainly tricky - there is always a price too high or a human toll worth paying, or so it seems 

Maybe we need to be doing things smarter than using battery buttons at all - wireless charging and the like, surely there are better solutions that might also be less wasteful 

5 Likes

A, story was on abc tonight about those young kids died over button battery. The lady from accc spoke.

1 Like

A tip for treating kids who have swallowed button batteries.