Home Networking: Ethernet, powerline adapters, and Wifi

Off the household DB as a single circuit, or as a seperate feed from the household DB to a sub-board, or as a branch from the incoming 230 volt property incomer?

We’ve occupied properties with all 3 options. The first two have been less than 50m long runs. There is a practical limit? The cable sizes increase per the requirements of the wiring rules the longer the run. Also have had the third where the property pole top transformer was 100m from the house and there was a longer extension down to the dairy.

For the practical distance an Ethernet over power adaptor might reach? I’ve only used it on a single household circuit. How fast or well it will perform over longer distances or particular household arrangements is an unknown until you give it a go. Many monitoring devices only need low bandwidth. I’m not sure installing a QHD Tv at the dairy would be necessary for the cows. For the site I’m familiar with the smart alternative is mobile data. Until recently it was in a mobile tower black spot.

We’re digressing a little about the best way to extend a home network outside the home, or to connect to remote devices around the property. Easy if you live on a 250sqm block in the new Aura estate on the Sunshine Coast, Qld. Only $233700 thanks to Stockland.

1 Like

We use a powerboard with our TP-link ones…however, not all powerboards are equal. They didn’t work on one powerboard we had and another the connection dropped out regularly if another device on the powerboard was turned on or off. It happened to be a very cheap powerboard which they worked okay…maybe it was less sophisticated and the sockets were all in parallel rather than having additional circuitry.

2 Likes

Around 30 years ago, the local Council was buying powerline intercomms which were sold in pairs amd operated through the mains wiring.

They would only work if both were connected to the same circuit.

1 Like

They are referred to by far less flattering terms by anyone who uses radio (HF mostly in my experience) … How these devices were ever approved and how they stay approved for use is beyond belief. Maybe it has something to do with different approval authorities not talking to each other? maybe the authorities don’t care so much about RFI anymore, so long as their phone bands aren’t affected and they can still snapchat and tweet? Who knows.

Anecdotally, I am aware of a story where a main breaker kept tripping in a premises that was using these close to a person who dabbled extensively in an RF related hobby. It was suggested to them that these devices were known to trip breakers and they could just run some UTP, so they stopped using them and the RFI problem went away … Locking the meter box might have also stopped the breaker tripping … :rofl:

6 Likes

This is wonderful advice. THank you!

Does the base unit need to be on the same electrical circuit to the remote unit?

Almost always yes if not a WiFi extender, WiFi extenders just need to have a strong signal that they can then repeat (so don’t separate them too far, test at various distances). Some Wifi extenders use the power circuit to transfer between base and remote and in these cases they should be on the same circuit.

If they use the wiring and are not on the same circuit then performance may be non existent if not just degraded.

3 Likes

Suggest you read all the replies including my own if you have not already done so. Powerline extenders can work a treat or not, depending on the adapter product itself and what is connected to it. Some play together perfectly, and others not so well.

2 Likes

Sorry, I replied to the wrong person.

2 Likes