Heat pump hot water service - options, what to consider

Consider that air conditioners (including split systems) as well as fridges have similar compressors. They generally go well beyond 8-10 years. My fridge just got replaced at 21 and was still running, although showing its age.

Whether and how you take that into account I doubt you would need to worry about a quality heat pump compressor prematurely failing, or failing in a short time. Whether the economics of a heat pump vs your switch solution is superior is for your own analysis to determine.

3 Likes

Good point. My initial concern was fuelled by the first plumber I rang who said he would install a heat pump system if I wanted, but he wouldn’t recommend it because he had seen too many cheaply made systems. I was reminded of the roof insulation scheme which benefitted many people but got a bad name because of some below standard operators.

1 Like

We do this manually with our hot water system to maximise use of solar. It makes sense and increases savings. We have thought of a smart/ electronic/timer switch but find the manual way works okay while working at home.

We have had mixed feedback on heat pumps. Some energy efficiency experts have indicated that while operating costs can he cheaper than gas/electric storage HW, reliability has been mixed. One supplier/installer we spoke to recommended solar HW with timer switch to heat with off peak, another recommended electric storage with smart switch using solar PV/offpeak and a third, heat pumps because that is what they mainly sell/install.

I have been put off somewhat by heat pumps, for us and our business, as our local caravan park installed a bank in their amenity block. After a short time they started getting complaints of cold showers, principally from long heating times. Once water temp drops, can take many hours to reheat. They since have removed them and gone back to instantaneous gas.

We plan to replace our (5) electric storage HW with (solar) electric boosted using excess PV in the future. Install cost is more but operating costs will be very low.

1 Like

Thank you. That’s a helpful perspective. I wouldn’t compare our home use to that of a caravan park, but it seems wise to increase storage capacity for a heat pump system. Some opinions also draw attention to the insulation quality of the individual tank.

2 Likes

Our household recently replaced our old Rheem Heat Pump - 14 years old with a new more efficient RHEEM HDc270 HP AMBIHEAT SIDEV 2.4kW - Cost $5,267 - less a $845 SA Government rebate
One point I received from the installer is that the units need to be serviced every 5 years to replace the sacrificial anode otherwise the tank can rust out prematurely - as our old one did. Also the pressure relief valves need to be checked regularly and serviced as above.

2 Likes

That’s good to hear. It’s pretty standard information for a HWS but the life span is encouraging.

1 Like