Hand sanitizers at supermarket entrances

I didn’t check the bottle being not in possession of reading glasses at the time. The smell was sweetish, like cheap public toilet urinal cleanser. I read that quats have a pleasant odour but ‘pleasant’ is subjective. Whatever the mix it was high in alcohol as it evaporated very quickly and cooled my hands. Quats have the property that they adsorb to skin, if separate the perfume may or may not also. My best guess is not a quat.

1 Like

On another topic still regards to sanitiser. Do you think the new label mentioning percentage of alcohol content recently a win for all will be beneficial. I only ask as it was not clear if manufacturers will need to test the content otherwise no one will know if it really contains the proper percentage. Either way it is fantastic for all of us that put names down. Just interested in your opinion on this regarding the actual content being tested.

3 Likes

Yes they will need to be sure of the %, the requirement is as follows:

"The new standard will mean that hand sanitiser that contains alcohol as the primary active ingredient must show the amount of alcohol as a percentage, by volume per volume (v/v) in a manner that is prominent and clearly legible, either in the list of ingredients or elsewhere on the container. A list of warnings about the product’s appropriate use will also need to be included.

The new standard also means that if the supplier makes a claim intended to promote the product – for example, that it “kills 99.99% of germs” – then they may be required to give the regulator information to support the claim. "

If they say it is 70% and it is less then they will face claims of false and deceptive practices/conduct and can be taken to Court. Before they could say it contained alcohol as the main ingredient but didn’t need to support with a % eg the product could have had 55% which is below the effective level but it could still be the main content of the product and thus shown as the primary ingredient.

2 Likes

The 99.99 saying has been around for long time seems more like a, sales statement why not just say it kills the germs. So this will clear all this false and misleading claims. As choice said in cleaning reviews hot water is more effective than over rated cleaning products. But how will they know what is in containers will actually be what label says. Unless they test samples as choice was doing up to just now. If you get what I mean. Consumers won’t know what is in bottles unless they are going to be doing tests. Apparently they have 6 months to comply before labelling needs changing

3 Likes

Our local coles has removed one of the sanitiser stands, and the other has not had anything in it for weeks. I guess they figure if nobody uses it, theres little point in having it there. They keep one near the trolley wipes, but apart from a couple of others, most dont bother santising self or trolley. People are becoming complacent. Admittedly, it has been weeks and weeks since this area has had any active cases (nothing in the sewage for ages, either), but still… it only takes one.

1 Like

The subsequent posts cover it fairly well. Spot checks should become a government, not Choice (budgets) responsibility although government could subcontract the testing.

That leads to most foods that are labelled but consumers accept the labelling on blind faith as often as not. Statistical spot checks are the norm in most countries. Ours? More libertarian than most with many businesses allowed to police themselves to do the right thing, whether it is expected they would, could, or would not. Historically our businesses are allowed to ‘trust their suppliers’ and their suppliers are expected to do the right thing and a quality repetitive manner, but do not.

There is much that could be improved in our supply chains yet I have some sympathy for the problems of funding. For example if government did statistical random testing of all the products worthy of that where would they find the funding for sports rorts, special projects in special electorates, and subsidising fossil fuels and miners? Eyes are usually firmly on votes not universal outcomes.

Coronavirus may have made a dent in the mentality. Only time and actions, or the lack thereof will tell.

2 Likes