Generic printer ink cartridges

Perhaps you should have given it a dose.

1 Like

I already had a dose! I was on a tight time line to get a submission into local council. Their deadlines are just that!

Expedience over perseverance. My first colour inkjet was an Epson. It too died after too short a life. It was replaced with an HP MFC which happily used any ink, HP stopped making the cartridges and the local alternate supplier relied on refilling my used cartridges. It got the flick when the auto document feeder died (broken plastic arm). Eight years? Generic inks are the hero.

3 Likes

The printer had a notification the other day stating that the black ink was low and asked if we wanted it to use the colour cartridges to help continue printing black, which we did.

I checked the Ink Station’s website and they now have generic ones in stock for our printer so I bought a 5 pack of XL cartridges for $121.36 delivered.

I ordered them on Sunday and Aus Post delivered them this morning.

Their genuine ones would have cost $206.30 and Officeworks equivalent would have cost $210.99 in store.

Sorry Epson. No grossly overpriced genuine ink for us.

As for the printer, my wife wanted some double sided copies this week. I simply used the document feeder and selected 2 sided printer. It did them in seconds.

No more experimenting with trial and error to get the paper the right side up and the right way around.

Lucky you. I only ever print mono on my Epsom printer and once again received a error message that the printer did not recognise the yellow cartridge. It is genuine Epsom so I reinstalled it and it then said it was empty (no earlier message it was running low). I have not printed one single colour page since I installed it 6 months ago. I suspect the printer is programmed to indicate inks have run out at a certain time frame if they are not used up in that period. I put this to Epsom last year and they responded by saying I had to take the printer to a repair shop at my cost. Great big red angry face.

3 Likes

All colours get used, some of this ink is used in the cleaning process both before and after printing To help save the colours one way is to set the printer to use only Black when printing and only enable colour/greyscale when colour or greyscale is intended.

If the intention is only to ever use Black then a monochrome printer (best choice probably a laser) is the way to go.

3 Likes

Inkjets routinely run their own print head cleaning cycles that uses each colour of ink even when no printing has been done but emptying even the smallest ink cart over 6 months of only cleaning cycles seems outrageous. The 'XL" inks in my Brother will be two years old in June, still almost half full according to the monitor.

This Epson page is reposted from my previous a few months ago and remains instructive

2 Likes

Inkjet wholesale has generic cartridges for your printer @ about $25 each.

2 Likes