CHOICE membership

Generic printer ink cartridges

Has anyone used generic ink cartridges with success? I’m looking at the website Inkstation to purchase Epsom Stylus cartridges - significantly cheaper than Officeworks and the hundreds of reviews are glowing fo course. Naturally the manufacturers say don’t use, but then so does Nespresso and the supermarket capsules work fine so is this scaremongering. I know that newer printers won’t accept generic, but that in itself suggest they do work and thus use of prevented. Keen to hear of anyone else’s experience.

2 Likes

I have used generics in my Brothers for years with no worries I could attribute to the inks. I did have a cart last year that was not recognised by the printer (bad chip in the cart). The vendor took care of me very well.

However each printer manufacturer has a different tactic for compatible inks. Some screw with you and others do not. The only relevant responses will be from Epson printer owners using generics. FWIW business shops that sell printers almost always sell original and generic inks. If you find an Epson seller who stocks generics for your printer that is a good omen.

2 Likes

I use generic toner in my Fuji-Xerox CM305df - I don’t regret spending on the laser - aftermarket toner has worked fine for me.

For ink you could look into a CISS - I had one from rihac.com.au - they work find if you * follow the instructions to the letter *, I did have a ‘braveheart moment’ where I covered my face in cyan :slight_smile: funny in hindsight but took some cleaning - I did the wrong thing and pressurised to canister.

3 Likes

We have used generic ink cartridges and laser toner for many years, for Cannon & HP printers.

It may be that if there is an impediment on using generic cartridges they won’t sell for that particular printer. So when buying, make sure you purchase for your exact model of printer. What they sell you will have to work with your printer.

3 Likes

Have bought cartridges from Ink Station for my Epson XP410; no problems at all!

3 Likes

I recommend ‘INKJET WHOLESALE’ I have been buying ink from them for about 10 years and always use the generic ink and have never had a problem. And you will find it hard to beat their prices. And if you order say on a monday you will have it on the Wednesday.

2 Likes