Fossil fuel subsidies

A general comment.
How taxes contribute to anyone outcome in life is always complex.

For Australia it could be said that those who pay the greatest amount in tax subsidies those who pay the least.

If there is any subsidisation of the petroleum industry in Australia through taxes, it could be said it is those better off are subsidising lower cost vehicles and fuel for those who otherwise could not afford to own or run a vehicle.

I get the generalisation about the global value or interests of the petroleum industry in maintaining the status quo. I doubt it is an easy discussion. It would seem more useful to neglect that discussion and focus on the way forward.

Lower vehicle Emissions in Australia.
Australia could for moderate cost increases have simultaneously adopted all improved Euro vehicle emissions standards. In most instances Australia’s Governments have said yes to the standards, then acted to substantially defer their introduction. Even as a vehicle manufacturer, it is only one part of the engine system that needed to be updated. Australia is now only a global buyer. The real reason for tardiness to update Australia perhaps is political. A resistance to seeing fuel costs increase, and the subsequent supposed damage to the economy.

There are better solutions for improved vehicle emissions. Clean vehicle technology and decreased use of personal transport for lower emissions mass transport.

Each State Govt has strategies for the way forward. Some may be better developed or glossier than others. (Colour of the political apparel an influencing factor perhaps?)

Referring back to my earlier comment re taxation and subsidies. Those most able to convert to electric vehicles today are those with higher incomes, and hopefully in a fair tax system, the greatest contributors of personal taxes. For all the excuses from range anxiety to being a climate denier, the only real reason for not converting is the high upfront cost of EVs for everyday use.

Perhaps if all the so called petroleum industry subsidies were removed and taxation reduced. Would those better off be able to justify buying EVs today? Assuming it is likely, what of all those less financially well off. Their old petrol guzzlers will become more expensive to operate, while worthless as trade ins. The cost of a replacement with an EV will be equally unaffordable. It worsens the poverty trap and would likely push more Australians into worse outcomes financially.

I doubt we need to look overseas, to conspiracy theories, to foreign business interests or to international conflicts to discuss what Australia could do to reduce vehicle emissions. Short term and long term.

2 Likes