Food shortages

Had no problems with my Coles Online order delivered yesterday . Deliveries come from the Hoppers Crossing Melbourne store . All vegetables were supplied . There were a couple of substitutions due to pack size . 1 kg carrots in lieu of 1.5 kg . Same with sweet potatoes .

Next day delivery is easy to get which is in stark contrast to the lock down periods when delivery slots were booked out a week ahead .

3 Likes

There are concerns for those further from the epicentre of the nations supply chain - Capital,City warehousing. With limited transport capacity and warehouse handling can Woolies etc meet the needs of the greatest number of Aussies by prioritising the nearest supermarkets? IE Shorter journeys and quicker turn arounds for the transport that is available.

For those in the regions closer to the capitals, perhaps it will also be ok?

Edit added item.
The current response.

No hard numbers on how many this will return to the workforce.

2 Likes

I got my F&V this week from an independent grocer. And they deliver, too. I should do it more often but sometimes its just easier to have delivery from one place, rather than 3 or 4.

1 Like

I agree. The toilet paper shelves were empty in my local supermarkets!

However, between both Coles and Woolworth I was able to buy exactly what I needed. WW seemed to be better stocked in the fresh fruit and veg but that may have been timing. Coles still had a reasonable variety and there were options to be had. It comes down to how picky people will be and whether they will accept alternatives. e.g. my preferred brand of milk was not available, but there were other similar milks available.

1 Like

Hi,
Aldi and Coles @ Kippa-Ring QLD. no toot paper or facial tissues. Meat, veg and paper towels very limited. We only need to shop every fortnight and have noted shortages back then but what we did wonder was, why did Coles have huge extended displays of toilet paper just after Boxing day?
One thing I did see was the staples were almost untouched. Flour, sugar and any staple needed for home cooking that was snapped up during our last panic buy episode was in ample supply. Could this be the cooking abilities, of those who thought watching a TV shows would be enough to make an edible meal from scratch, are much less than desireable? Could the VET bills have been prohibitive after feeding said meal to the much loved pet after the family rejected it?

3 Likes

Lots of guesses. It’s worth considering that consumers have more confidence in the situation, as we are not being locked down at home. It’s not a like for like situation to the prior rush to stock up.

TP is a relatively bulky item. Coles, Woolies, Aldi etc and the manufacturers are in the best position to show the press where all the supply is sitting. It’s all about supply and distribution according to their management and our National leadership team. In which instance there must be a mountain of TP sitting in warehouses, at the local manufacturers or on the wharfs.

How best to unplug the blockage preventing timely distribution? The wisdom of leadership finally called on the power of the military to lead the vaccine rollout. Hopefully rolling out the TP supplies sitting in warehousing receives the priority it needs.

1 Like

A new reason for very possible short supplies of items across major Supermarket chains (ALDI, Woolworths, Coles and IGA) is that the major transporter of goods has now started the process of being wound up. Scott’s Refrigerated Logistics entered Voluntary Administration last week but has failed to find a buyer and so will now be wound up by the Administrators. The Receivers have warned that they “could not “provide customers and the public with an assurance that there will not be any disruption to services provided by Scott’s and the continuity of food supply””.

I would think that most of the major supermarkets are scrambling to find alternative means of getting their goods from suppliers and producers to warehousing and then to Stores. Don’t be surprised that more shortages are going to happen beyond the current potato etc shortages now being experienced. Will this also lead to further hoarding by some and the restriction of quantities able to be purchased at a time. It also begs the question of how some pensioners, those with disabilities and many others will cope with the lack of goods that are needed by them. Perhaps, a job for the Defence Forces to come in and supply the means of transport until the vacuum is filled.

1 Like