Food safety and eggs

Egg-ceptional. Likely appreciated all around.
As a note for those tempted to be hobby farmers. Depending on which state or territory there may be regulations and requirements to be met if producing eggs for sale.

EG

Our neighbours give their surplus away as a favour/gift.

4 Likes

Some years ago, I used to receive hobby-farm eggs from a regular elderly patient. The eggs didn’t come with an expiry date, so I used to check whether they sank or floated in water. The occasional floater was discarded. I can’t afford to lose weight with salmonella and have continued the habit with shop-bought eggs. It may be taking things to extremes, but I did find some floating eggs from an in-date, refrigerated carton a year or so ago.

2 Likes

Agree, ccmpl. For some time now, the RSPCA has no certified free-range in Victoria. Shame.

2 Likes

Possibly because almost all large egg producers would not meet RSPCA standards for humane farming. Those standards are stricter that those allowed to be able to call eggs free range or barn laid.

2 Likes

Some egg farmers, in the past, were certified, but I think they saw $$ in not being so.

1 Like

Perhaps those farmers still meet the RSPCA standards but simply found there wasn’t sufficient payback for the red tape and licencing costs associated with being RSPCA approved.

1 Like