Food packaging problems - which products give you wrap rage?

I use our small razor sharp utility knife to slice across the top of the pack and then down the side so that the product and its tray can be easily slid out.

I the rinse the empty tray with hot water and put it back in the plastic pack and fold it up to go in the bin.

4 Likes

The Age newspaper home delivered is so difficult to unwrap!
A coloured tab would really help to indicate where to begin unwrapping.

5 Likes

I’m with you Meltam - those cartons of milk are a pain. What you didn’t mention is that you need to grip the carton quite firmly to remove the plastic tab and most times end up squeezing it just as the top comes off - result, milk everywhere. Then when you do finally succeed and pour the milk it ‘flops’ out of the carton as the air is trying to get into the carton as the milk comes out. Worst design ever.

5 Likes

Most plastic packaging is harder than before. Not sure why they make it hard. Unless either for freshness or so people don’t break open bags.most annoying is for example chocolate coated nuts or ev3n packaging on cadbury individually wrapped bars. Tbe outer baga are extremely difficult. I usually cut the outer bag with scissors

3 Likes

When you say “milk bottles”, you’re actually talking about waxed board long-life milk containers, aren’t you?

Prepacked meat trays from (mainly) Woolworths. Vacuum sealed with a soft top and a hard tray. Absolutely impossible to separate effectively for recycling. That’s apart from the issue that the quality of Woolworths meat has declined considerably since they scaled down their in-house butchering facilities.

6 Likes

I have already told Bundaberg that I will not buy any of their products with those ring-pull tops. Their aim is of course is to ensure the entire bottle is consumed upon opening, unlike similar products with screw tops.

3 Likes

Inside soya sauce and other bottle caps, that plastic “ring pull” thing to open for pouring - every so often the plastic ring just snaps off and leaves you to try and cut it out with a knife or push it in to float around in there and mock you for your clumsiness . . .

6 Likes

I have definitely had problems with the packets of Nestle choc bits. They have a tear here but 9/10 it never happens and I have to get out the scissors. My other one that’s really annoying is Omo powdered detergent. It has a zip top but as soon as I start opening it I have detergent everywhere. On behalf of my 96 year old Mum no one really considers the elderly or those with poor hand power or arthritis.

4 Likes

Thanks, Phil, I looked at the website and added a few things to the cart (those bags look really good, too) but the exchange rate has been prohibitively expensive lately. I’ll check ebay :slight_smile:

2 Likes

With you on the Eno issue. My regular pharmacy no longer has it, and theres no suitable alternative. Eno was the “last man standing’ in my case, I started out using Dexsal years ago, then moved to Efferdex when I could not get Dexsal, then to Eno when I couldnt get Efferdex. Whats next???

1 Like

Tassal resealable smoked salmon packs are the worst. Even after you have used scissors to cut along the pull to open line, it is 30% of time impossible to open the resealable part by breaking the vacuum. If you try with fingers it is too short to grab properly and if you use pliers or even vice grips you just tear the bag away from the resealable part making it useless. In the end you need to cut the main part of the bag to break the vacuum and then the pliers method works!

2 Likes

I don’t even bother.

I then place the salmon slices in a Decor Tellfresh container.

1 Like

I think their aim is to sell more Band-Aids because those ring-pull are very sharp.

2 Likes

Pre-packed meat on styrofoam trays at supermarkets is reliably 10% lighter than the declared weight unless you take the liquid-soaked pillow into account.

2 Likes

They look great! I use clothes pegs

1 Like

Some brands like even black and gold with certain products are better.

Usually buy Aus cooking oil in a tin, as it works out cheaper by the litre.

The plastic cap is flush with the top of the tin, and you need to:

1. Lift up the outer rings. (Need ingenuity to find something to help with that).
  2. Pull up the spout. (Need strength).
  3. Twist off cap. (Easy)

It does require some dexterity, but on my last effort the all system came away as I pulled up the spout.
Maybe I don’t know my own strength? :wink:

4 Likes

Try using the handle of a teaspoon to lift up each tab, then put the handle of a dessert spoon under both tabs and lever the cap up.

I assume you are referring to Colbram or Red Island. If so, aren’t the lift up breather caps fantastic?

3 Likes

Usually Colbram, and I have a long wooden spoon to put through the rings for lifting.
Not the easiest system to open.
I have no problems, but it could be very difficult for the elderly or for arthritic hands.

Last time it all came away, leaving a big hole in the tin for pouring which wasted some oil each time.

Yes, the breather is a good idea.
I would usually punch a hole on the opposite site of the pourer when getting out that last little bit, but no need now.

3 Likes