Food Allergies In Australia

The reaction of the restaurant does not auger very well for them.

"A week after being discharged from hospital, Jaicey returned to the restaurant to suggest they rewrite their menu to include the fact that the dish contained cashews.

She claimed the staff were rude, with the manager even saying people with allergies shouldn’t eat out at all, as it’s too dangerous.

“I didn’t feel like I was another human he was talking to,” Jaicey said."

A Current Affair tried to contact the restaurant multiple times, but received no response.

An in-person visit to the Byron Bay establishment only elicited a “no comment”.’

Perhaps they wish to be like this establishment in Canberra, which hopefully the pollies frequent.

As I posted above, they were provided with ample opportunity to tell 'their side of the story".

I just actually watched the video of the ACA segment which not only reinforced my belief in the story but also identified the venue as The Roadhouse Byron Bay.

Their one star reviews on Tripadvisor certainly support the victim’s claims.

And these other reviews do not exactly paint a pretty picture either.

And the statement on ACA that the local Council is investigating them for breaches of food safety regulations just about sums it all up.

“Byron Bay. The anti-vavver enclave where your health is irrelavant to our nut-job culture. The holiday destination to die for”.

And an article regarding someone who did die due to their food allergy.

Another article regarding food allergies and allergen labelling in Australia.

1 Like

An article regarding testing children for food allergies.

An article regarding a man who died after eating barramundi.

Whilst many consumers consider barramundi is to die for, this is obviously not what they meant.

An article regarding research into allergies in children.

Australian researchers have discovered a protein that could stop allergic reactions and anaphylaxis.

Great stuff.

1 Like