Flu shots 2022, including 2021-2019

A bit side of the topic, but at $38.20 per 10 minutes standard booking as it is done, that is $229.20 per hour. Tradies usually charge $120-150 callout including 15-30 minutes of work, often $100+ per hour thereafter charged in 15 minute blocks.

Compare the educational requirements and onus of oversights and insurances for a GP and a tradie and some conclusion is warranted. I understand why clinics increasingly decline to bulk bill.

The chemists are more likely only out to cover costs to get or keep customers for all those scripts and life saving oils and vitamins and supplements and perfumes that are necessary to sustain life itself :roll_eyes:

1 Like

They charge more than that. My discounted fee is $62.50

The $38.20 is the medicare rebate, and thus I presume the bulk billing rate not non-bulk billed fees.

1 Like

I’ve since found out from a worker at a nearby (but further away) Chemist Warehouse that they recommend that if you qualify for a free shot you should get it from the doctors as the one at the doctors additionally has an ‘immunity booster’ as well as the vaccine! First I’ve heard of that! However for everyone else it’s the same. Her pharmacy chain apparently advertise that it’s free for those who qualify so you don’t pay at their stores to later find out that you can get it for free at the doctor (?!). Anyway, given all the government warnings for vulnerable people - such as me with several co-morbidities - to stay at home I really didn’t fancy sitting in a GP waiting room at length and also getting charged a consult fee (my doctor doesn’t bulk bill) but if this extra “immunity booster” thing is recommended/worthwhile maybe I would have. Does anyone else know about this? More confusion.

This year, there are five different vaccines:

1 Like

Thanks. But which one has the “immunity booster” that only doctors (and not pharmacies, apparently) have for “free” for the compromised people that qualify?

From the Health NSW link in my response:

which corresponds with Fluad QuadÂź for all people aged 65 years and over.

Under the circumstances, a pneumococcal shot would probably be wise as well:

1 Like

Thanks again, but I was talking about cases that otherwise qualify for “free” vaccines e.g. because of underlying co-morbidities, not the one for people aged 65 years and over. In any event it is my understanding that the Fluad Quad is also available at pharmacies, not just at GP clinics.

I had an appointment where I was located in the car park before entering the building and told to wait in my car. Some minutes later I was collected and lead into a treatment room through the back door. No crowd in the waiting room no siree Bob.

1 Like

Not sure how it will be managed at my GP rooms. No car park but the doors remain locked so we can’t just waltz in and wait. Standing outside in the rain, I guess. The surgery is in an ordinary house thats been converted for the purpose.

This year, there are six different vaccines:

• All people aged ≄6 months - Fluarix Tetra, FluQuadri, Vaxigrip Tetra
  • All people aged ≄3 years only - Influvac Tetra
  • All people aged ≄5 years only - Afluria Quad
  • Adults aged ≄65 years only - Fluad Quad

The number doesn’t matter really 
 getting the appropriate vaccine for the recipients age is a ‘good idea’ though 

The all seem to cover the same four strains that are recommended (so to speak) - the only stand-out difference being Fluad Quad which is adjuvanted with MF59C.1.

Source: Federal Health Department / Australian Immunisation Handbook.

5 Likes

The Immunity Booster they are talking about I understand to be MF59C.1, “an adjuvant known to increase the immunogenicity of vaccines. MF59C.1 adjuvant is a squalene based oil-in-water emulsion. Squalene is a normal component in the human body and is easily metabolized and excreted” (from the TGA site). This is usually given to older people as their normal immune response to the normal vaccine is decreased. Adding MF59C.1 creates a bigger immune response from the person’s immune system so that they get better protection. A normal person who is still reasonably young under 65 or so and older than about 5 years does not require this extra compound in the dosage to develop a good immunity.

Immunogenicity is the ability of a foreign substance, such as an antigen, to provoke an immune response in the body of a human or other animal. In other words, immunogenicity* is the ability to induce a humoral and/or cell-mediated immune responses.

https://www.who.int/vaccine_safety/committee/topics/adjuvants/squalene/questions_and_answers/en/

The following is an older fact sheet on MF59 squalene compound but should help a reader understand what the compound does to help.

8 Likes

2020 experience with availability of fluvax and pneumovax (two people under 65 but one has some underlying health issues that mean would qualify to get subsidised fluvax and subsidised pneuomovax).
Local pharmacy had fluvax quad version for 5-64 years in long before the local doctor had supply of any fluvax versions. Therefore we both got fluvax at pharmacy on 12 March 2020 (and if medical advice is to get a second shot during this flu season that is wht we will do).
Later on in the year - for one of us the private script for pneumovax took a long time for pharmacy to get supply. For the other person the local doctor had ‘good’ supply of pneumovax for eligible people (they seemed to be re-ordering it nearly every day to keep up with the demand).

2 Likes

An article regarding why flu affects pregnant women more than other people.

Another great reason to get a flu shot every year.

3 Likes

A new type of flu shot to be available in Australia this year at additional cost in addition to the usual type.

3 Likes

After I had pneumonia in 2016, I received the Pneumovax 23 vaccine.

When Medicare started its Immunisation History Statement this year, my statement showed that I was due for a pneumococcal vaccine so I made an appointment whilst our GP was on leave.

When I attended the appointment, he said that they did not like to do a second shot of Pneumovax 23 as a lot of people develop problems but that I was due for a Tetanus booster.

When he spoke with the nurse, it turned out that I was due for Prevenar 13, not Pneumovax 23, so I got it and the Tetanus shots.

Apparently, people need to get both the Pneumovax 23 and the Prevenar 13 so as to be best protected.

My immunisation record is starting to get as long as the rap sheets of the local low lifes.

An article regarding one of the four flu strains not found in the last 18 months.

Now if only the other 3 would also go MIA.

1 Like

Very Unlikely? At least until there is a better vaccine available, or?

There are some interesting stats out of the ABC article. The year before Covid hit.

In 2019, one of our worst flu seasons in recent times, more than 300,000 people became sick and more than 900 died from flu.

The impact of Covid over the previous 18 months has been much more significant.

In comparison, the passive control measures applied to limit the impact of Covid, the ABC points out have been much more effective at controlling the flu.

This year so far in Australia, there have been just 550 reported flu cases — and not a single flu death.

The most predominant general control measures of mask wearing, isolation when sick, increased hand hygiene, awareness of personal space have been part of the strategy. Is the real solution to the flu, colds and some other common ailments much less than a magic bullet vaccination? Is a large part of the solution a realisation we are all personally responsible for spreading the flu, more than any other cause?

This says the 900 deaths from the flu in 2019 could have been largely avoided, if the rest of us acted more responsibly. How do we change our culture to accept mask wearing in public as a sign of respect for those around us, and not something that might challenge the status quo?

It’s worth noting that the high rates of Covid vaccination are several times greater than flu vaccination nationally and by state.

It’s easy to look beyond the obvious. Last year approx 33% of Australians received the flu vaccine. One of the worst performing states based on population was NSW, out performed pro-rata by Qld and Victoria. Covid has also shown NSW can do better when NSW puts a good supply of vaccine and support together. Change is possible.

2 Likes

Lots of advertising about getting flu shots, and getting them early this year. Ringing around my local area has a few variations for whether they have bulk billed shots for the 65 and over group.

Answer 1 (the three bulk billing clinics I rang) - we don’t have it yet. Check back mid-next week.
Answer 2 (pharmacy group A) - we don’t do free ones, same charge for all. Want to come in?
Answer 3 (pharmacy group B) - the vaccine is free but we charge $ for administering it. Want to come in?

I did not try private practices that charge per consult.

Interesting how the for-profits have it and the bulk billers don’t (yet)?

2 Likes

I’ve just returned from the chemist . Being over 65 I will have my 4th booster for Covid mid June . My doctor has me on the list for the normal flu shot and will phone when available .

1 Like