Facial recognition at retail stores - we need your help

The problem is not with the technology per se but the misuse of it by those who see only their own advantage and care not for the rights or privacy of the individual. As usual when new tech forces change our governments are slow to react - in the meantime the cowboys look for new ways to exploit.

4 Likes

I disagree with directly comparing a chain retail stores rights as equally important to a person’s. A shop has various controls available to it, such as hiring security, insurance, staffing and store layout. If a person needs to buy something they could only get at bunnings or kmart, too bad they would have no choice but to have their biometrics stored and used for whatever the store sees fit.

3 Likes

I became aware of an aged care/respite facility recently that requires a digital image of every person entering so they can perform facial recognition. This is done to provide “Facial recognition for perimeter alerting and access”.

One can see how this might be of benefit to help contain residents with conditions such as dementia - while these facilities are somewhat akin to remand centres it is possible to tailgate through a door for example 

None the less, it seems unclear why all persons entering should essentially have to be subscribed into the system. It also seems unclear what policies and processes are in place to protect the information gathered.

5 Likes

Beyond the technology there is often little to no recourse for the consumer when the recognition system gets it wrong, and that happens. Once you become guilty because the computer says so and nobody wants to hear from you, and out you go or are barred from coming in, you might reflect and modify your ‘all in’ support.

3 Likes

Woolworths supermarkets have a small camera in the self serve checkout stations. Are they installed for facial recognition?

While the formal answer is “there is no way to know”, this was already asked in this topic. Refer post 44 above and the posts following it and the links therein.

NSW pubs and clubs to install facial recognition technology to help stop self-excluded gamblers
NSW pubs and clubs to install facial recognition technology to help stop self-excluded gamblers - ABC News

Cameras will scan patrons’ faces as they enter a venue and compare their faces to a database of problem gamblers who have consented to be part of the self-exclusion scheme.

This makes no sense to me for clubs, where you will have had to identify yourself explicitly anyway.

So just another “sign of the apocalypse”?

With clubs we have frequented in Queensland and Tasmania, this has been hit and miss. Some have receptions where evidence of being a member is required at the point of entry (with reception or security), while others have a sign-in book through to nothing. I haven’t been in a club in NSW for many years to know if they have compulsory sign-ins and verifications in place.

The article seems to suggest that the facial recognition is agreed by those who voluntarily chose to exclude them from gambling - rather than being used for any gambler. This could be seen as a positive by excluded gamblers who risk going on a ‘bender’ and try to evade any club which has some checks in place.

Could be true but in that case the correct change is to fix that - so that clubs are enforcing the existing rules.

At my local clubs that I have frequented, you either swipe your membership card (if a member) or you have your drivers licence scanned (if not a member), and they are rigorous about enforcing it.

You could be right that there are smaller places beyond Bourke where everyone knows everyone and no checking takes place.

Adding: If a licensed club can’t be bothered enforcing the existing rules, you wonder how rigorously they would enforce voluntary self-exclusion.

There is no such thing as being used only on people who have self-excluded. In order to exclude those who have volunteered to be excluded, they have to face scan everyone.

2 Likes

Really only one thing to say: state gambling revenue.

Either change Australia’s taxation system so the people responsible for the money are the ones trying to raise it (e.g. hospitals, schools), or get used to perverse incentives.

2 Likes

How about not wandering off topic and keep this to facial recognition in retail stores.

1 Like

Facial recognition versus theft surveillance are getting muddied although they are different even if complementary in the tools used.

‘The other’ topic

From a self serving tech company.

Currently being sold to governments and ‘special facilities’ but can general business be far behind?

1 Like