Face mask testing

I saw a fellow in town struggling to wear his as his beard was down to his belly. The beard simply would not fit inside so he had the mask across his mouth and nose above most of the beard but it didn’t fit well at all.

1 Like

Or equivalent, note table previously posted which lists P2 also commonly available in Australia for trades work in various styles.

3 Likes

Or indeed under the nose as we see many doing, when worn this way they are a complete waste of time which I think for many who do it is the aim of the way it is worn.

2 Likes

Yes any equivalent. There is also KN95s (Chinese standard), and KF94s (Korean standard).

I would be reluctant to use a P2 type mask often used in by industries unless there is confirmation from a supplier that they are suitable for medical use, in particular Covid viruses.

2 Likes

I think from memory when masks were first being advocated the requirement to meet standards of protection was for N95/P2 type masks. Vented P2 equivalent types while they may protect the user from inhaling virus are not great for the surrounding people if the mask user is infected as the expelled air is carrying the virus out through the vent.

3 Likes

We often see this.

Another issue is crossing over of the straps on the side of the face (between the mask and ear) where a incorrect size mask is worn to try and make it sit better. All this does is cause the mask to balloon out on the sides as the corners are pulled together, by the crossing over, meaning that inhales and exhales go around the side of the mask rather than being filtered by the mask materials.

The N95 type masks prevent this occurring as their edges when shaped sit flush against the face/skin.

2 Likes

Good point. I wasn’t looking forward to wearing my non-disposable industrial mask at the supermarket anyway, comments about Darth Vader would be too cutting.

3 Likes

You may decide to use the disposable vented type though and not look so Darthy :smiley: Still an issue if the mask wearer is infected (in no way am I inferring you are infected).

2 Likes

P2 and the higher standard P3 face masks are available as non vented disposable face masks or more expensive vented versions. The vented versions are not suitable for the reasons you noted. They also cost more.

If there is any confusion over acceptability of Australian Standards P2 or USA NIOSH N95, the TGA recognises both filtration performance Standards. Both standards test against industrial use for particle filtration and moisture/vapour droplet protection. There is no additional testing for virus protection.

Neither the FDA/TGA require additional specific filtration testing using a virus or simulated virus of P2/N95 masks. Manufactures need to label P2 and N95 masks sold specifically for medical use accordingly to meet TGA labelling requirements for use as medical devices.

Should we avoid using an AS Certified P2 or N95 face mask that does not carry an additional certified for medical use as part of our everyday Covid management?

Outside of regulated medical settings the products do the same job.

2 Likes

This is key. A P2 mask can be sold without certification, or not comply with the standard.

Any mask should have N95+ labelling to meet TGA Covid mask protection requirements. This means a P2 mask should also have N95+ labelling which was the background for the previous statement.

1 Like

Wicked. To think people sell P2 masks that don’t comply with Australian Standards. Do you have examples?

Of course we are not all surgeons working in theatre or hospitals.

Will an industrial P2 mask fail to stop Covid any more than one with a P2 certified for medical use?

Will we all catch Covid?

Standby for the next exciting instalment, of splitting hairs by Mark and Peter.

:blush::blush::blush::blush:

There are online sellers claiming P2 without and substantiation. Some appear to be overseas. It is amazing what one can buy cheaply online.

I don’t know, but unless is has N95 + labelling (accompanying information), a consumer won’t know. Looking at some reputable online P2 sellers, they have N95+ labelling/information… this is one of many examples. And a P2 mask from the same retailer which doesn’t have N95+ labelling/ information and therefore would not meet that outlined by the TGA.

A friend’s elderly father just shaved his long-time beard off so that he can wear face masks properly for protection. His decision when faced with all the evidence (and simply being at higher risk due to age).

2 Likes

Moisture/vapour droplet protection is the important factor to stop the moisture particle aersols carrying virus.
Face masks don’t stop individual virus travelling on their own; they trap the aerosol particles that the viruses hitch a ride with.

Testing ‘old tech’ might be premature if these next generation products come to market in the near future.

2 Likes

FFP2 as they say in the UK or N95 as in the USA. Are there other options for masks that can meet either filtration standard? Several possibilities including a washable form fitting mask.

It’s single - one time use of any of the common masks in a regulated medical environment. The Guardian has repeated common advice masks can be reused when used in community settings.

1 Like

I have purchased disposable face mask and have straps on most of a 50 pack box snap off cant believe the quality. It seems either maybe the heat or poor material. Maybe testing of disposable face mask is an idea for the testers. Just to let you know that the brand is called soft med purchased from chemist warehouse.

This is the brand and Australian made straps snapping off. They have a Chinese brand snap off to