Electricity Price Increases

I just saw an ad for this class action against the Qld Government owned electricity generators.

This should really put a cat amongst the pidgeons, especially with the Qld state election on 31.10.2020.

1 Like

A few articles regarding the class action.

And the pathetic attempted cop-out by CS Energy.

An article regarding when our local fool, oops, member and the then State Treasurer took a special $4 billion bonus from the generators.

And then claimed that he would take action regardng the generators’ price gouging.

Very convenient that the stated merger of the generators has still not happened some 5 years later.

I guess it would be a bit hard to keep gaming the system with only one player. After all, you need two to tango.

But it looks like the class action is now going to come back to bite them.

1 Like

Electricity prices predicted to fall as renewable supply increases, gas price falls

And coal demand is now in decline according to the IEA.

When wholesale prices go up my supplier increases my tariff.
When wholesale prices go down my supplier reduces my feed in tariff.
But both at the same time?
Any suggestions as to what my energy company will reply?

Dear Ms Aston, Red Energy Customer Services Manager.

You wrote to me recently outlining increases to my electricity tariff explaining

‘ This change is largely due to movement in electricity network, wholesale and retail costs.’

Approximately 6 months ago you informed me of a decrease in my feed in solar tariff explaining:-

‘ because when wholesale costs go down, the value of your solar generation goes down with it.’

Can you please explain to me which way wholesale costs have moved in the relevant period.

If they have risen then there would be grounds for the increase in one tariff but not for the decrease in the other. Conversely if wholesale prices have fallen the reverse would be true.

Please be aware that I will be sharing your response with the Choice community members forum.

Sincerely

Andrew Payne
Customer number xxxxxxxx

2 Likes

As my old grandad used to say, “All they teach tham is how to cheat and thieve”.

1 Like

From experience as well as general advice, if you are in Victoria use the Victorian government energy comparison site. In my experience it is surprisingly accurate although one needs to confirm the retailer offers are the same (rates as well as T&C) as on the offer(s) you look at. They are usually synchronised but have been known to ‘not match’ form time to time. Since all the prices just changed they should be accurate.

It is not worth the time to deal with most of them even when you feel you win. ‘Walking’ to a better deal is the best solution.

https://compare.energy.vic.gov.au/

3 Likes

Is it possible to filter these replies - by year/6 month folders or something similar? I just opened Andrew P’s 2 hour old question, which was moved into this topic: it took me nearly 10 minutes to scroll down to find replies

There is now a count of 286 comments, starting in July 2018. It would be much easier to have divisions of some sort, to narrow searching: one can always dig deeper if needed.

3 Likes

Depending on your device’s browser you can scroll using the forum (not browser) scroll that shows post number and date,
and one (of a few) easy ways to get to the bottom when looking at the original post is to click on ‘last reply’.

Although there is a learning curve on the how to’s once one is familiar navigating becomes a lot easier. We have discussed it previously and the conclusion at the time was that for many topics a single encyclopaedic topic was preferable to multiple disjointed ones.

If you continue to have difficulty with the how to above, please repost and we’ll see if some tutorial assistance can be provided. If enough members are like minded the approach might be revisited

6 Likes

OK, thanks. Will give it a try next time. I don’t usually have trouble - but this is a “meaty” topic

5 Likes

The Summarize This Topic button can also help shorten the list

3 Likes

The day of reckoning approaches.

1 Like

It is likely those on fixed tariff won’t have much of a claim
but those in the contestable market maybe
if it can be proven intentions to increase spot prices which impacts on energy costs.

I say good luck to them, but wouldn’t be holding one’s breath (if it succeeds or if it does, getting any significant remuneration).

2 Likes

An article regarding consumers and businesses struggling with energy debts.

Great to see that Alinta Energy copped a smack around the ears, even if it was only petty cash to them.

1 Like

When is a Consumer Organisation not a Consumer Organisation?

Specific to the electricity supply industry is the following organisation.

It’s reported achievements (2010-20 Annual Report) include:

I came across them looking at consumer consultation with the AER for tariff reforms.

Choice does not appear to have had representations in any of the ‘public’ consultations. It’s a waiting opportunity given the future of Australia is built around renewable energy.

Do they deserve consumer support, should Choice partner with them, or something else, @BrendanMays, @jhook ?

3 Likes

I just received thie exercise in blatant hypocrisy from Ergon.

Dear XXXX,

You may have noticed other electricity retailers starting to enter the market in your area.

Competition is healthy and we welcome it, but if you’re considering switching to another retailer, just make sure you understand all the ins and outs of their offer.

What you see, is not always what you get

Some retailers offer rates that go up after an introductory period, that could leave you worse off in the long run.

Others charge credit card, paper bill or late payment fees, that you could get hit with again and again.

We’re 100% transparent

With us, there are no sneaky fees or hidden catches. Just the same rate for all our customers, everywhere, so you won’t get caught out.

We’re committed to being 100% transparent with you.

Top 10 check list

If you’ve been approached by another retailer, here’s our top 10 list of things to look out for:

1. Long-term savings - If you get a one-off gift card, will you save in the long run?
  2. No introductory pricing - Is the pricing just an introductory offer that expires after a period?
  3. The same rate for all - Does everyone get the same rate, everywhere, regardless of when you sign up?
  4. No sneaky fees - Are there any sneaky fees that could add up over time like credit card, paper bill and late payment fees?
  5. Queensland owned - Are they Queensland owned, so you know your money is going back into Queensland?
  6. Queensland call centre - Is their call centre Queensland based, so they get you?
  7. Supporting local employment - Do they employ local Queenslanders and help the local economy?
  8. Supporting the community - Do they support local Queensland community groups and charities?
  9. No lock-in contracts - Can you leave and go to another retailer whenever you want, if you aren’t happy?
  10. Longevity - Will they be here in the long run, or are they a risky start-up business?

We live here too

We love where we live and we’re proud to employ Queenslanders right across the state.

We’re here for you, because we’re 100% Queensland owned. If we can help in any way, please let us know. It’s your energy.

Yours sincerely,

Ayesha Razzaq

Executive General Manager
Ergon Retail

100% Transparent
Copyright © 2021 Ergon Energy Retail, All rights reserved.
You are receiving this as you had provided consent at the time you provided your email address to Ergon Energy Retail.

Our mailing address is:

Ergon Energy Retail

PO Box 1090

Townsville, QLD 4810

Australia

Add us to your address book

Want to change how you receive these emails?
unsubscribe from this list.

Looks like competition is finally coming to regional Qld.

:“We’re 100% transparent”.

They sure are. I can see right through their scheming.

Looks like they are planning to get the “Liddell” bloke to go.

1 Like

What does that mean?

A pun on words I think and I read it as “They are going to get the little bloke to go” ie they will shut down the coal burning power plant and after it is gone replace it with renewables.

1 Like

The planned 2023 closure of the Liddell power station has led the federal government to commit to building a taxpayer-funded, gas-fired power station in nearby Kurri Kurri, due to concerns about power shortfalls across New South Wales.

And yet, theres a plan for rooftop solar power owners who feed back to the grid, to pay for the privilege
 the grid can’t cope, they say
 so what is it
 not enough power, or too much? I don’t get it.

2 Likes

Governments are adept at not following the advice obtained from spending our tax payers money.

If there are genuine reasons to act otherwise, only our politicians know why they act as they do. There is zero transparency (only leaks) from the party room and national HQs. It might be more productive to fill out this weeks lotto entry than speculate?
P.S.
I could install a minimum 6kWh home battery and eliminate 95% of our electricity demand, nearly all at peak times. The same for most other PV owners. Unfortunately there is currently zero financial benefit, only a capital cost for the investment, and a net loss on feed in credits. As an alternative to the gas plant at Kurri Kurri, no one is saying?

2 Likes