Electricity - New Connection and options

I played this game for some years. Find the cheapest provider, sign up fixed for a year on their ‘introductory’ rate. At the end of the year put in a change request to the cheapest provider at the time. Most times your original provider will then offer a good deal. If not, switch to another ‘introductory’ offer. The providers are banking on most people being too lazy to change after the introductory period and are not prepared to negotiate until they receive the change request. [banks did this with term deposits too - the roll over rate was usually the lowest and choose a month more or less gave a better return].
In the end I got fed up with the circus and signed with Red Energy. Their discount isn’t a lot, but it is on supply and usage - the supply discount being dominant for us. And it is ongoing, no hoopla each year. I know there are better deals but the system wore me down.

1 Like

Yeah totally understand. I am just trying to work out if it’s better be on a time-of-use option or anytime option. Why have they made this so confusing?? Actually I know why!? Thanks.

1 Like

Crazy. I know in the house that I owned that sometime around 2016 a Smart Meter was installed so even though this house was built well before 2017, I think it still may have one?? Thanks.

1 Like

Thank you - this was really helpful as I hadn’t been able to find out what the times were for the differing rates.

1 Like

Thank you for your comprehensive reply. I haven’t moved into the rental premise as yet, however yes it has electric hot water and as there is a pool, the pump is also electric. The cheapest option I have found is ReAmped, and there are no introductory deals that I have looked at, and as the lease is only for 6 months, I can’t sign up to 12 month deals etc. They have two options - Time-of-Use - with Peak at 22.67c/kWh; Shouder at 13.12c; and Off-peak at 11.41c. The other option, Anytime is a flat charge 24 hour a day charge of 16.49c. As most of my usage would be in the Shoulder period, and if I can get both the hot water system and pool pump on off-peak, I think the Time-of-use option may be my cheapest option? Thanks again.

Be thankful that you have a choice. I live in Moore Park Beach, just out of Bundaberg, and the only choice we have I Ergon. Our power bills are ridiculous and there is nothing we can do because we have no other option.
After moving up here from Brisbane where I had a lot of choices, I am left wondering how this could be allowed to happen. Why can’t we hav a choice like so many others. Totally unfair

Off-peak tariffs require separate metering for each supply. Many rentals do not have more than a single meter.

If there is only a single meter installed, adjusting the pool pump timer to align to the TOU time window is an option. Electric hot water can also be put on a timer, but at the cost of an electrician for the job.

1 Like

Not true, at least with smart meters, unless you meant metering in the context of recording use against time. Extra hardware is only necessary for ‘controlled loads’, usually being off-peak hot water services with respective tariffs.

With the complexity of tariffs a basic peak/off peak plan is amenable to timers with the same billing outcome. If off-peak controlled loads have a lower charge than just ‘off-peak’ that is a variation on the ‘problem’.

1 Like

I think @mark_m was referring to Tariff 11 and 33 (I think that’s the controlled supply one). Mind you I think they also attract a daily charge.

2 Likes

TOU metering we both agree requires a Smart Meter.

Assuming the property has a single smart meter.
To get the maximum benefit of TOU the pool and hot water also need to be controlled in some way so that they run when the TOU tariff is lowest. This is done through independent timers the home owner sets, assuming the HW has one installed.

There are also dual element smart meters which can separately switch and meter independently a second load such as a hot water service. These replace the old dual meter set ups. Typically the second load (controlled supply) is ‘off-peak’ at a night rate for hot water, tariff 31. Each Many pool owners here before solar had a third controlled supply and meter for a tariff 33 which selectively turned off supply in the morning and evening peaks. Also an ‘off peak’ service.

Both are a different off-peak time and rates to the ‘shoulder’ and ‘off peak’ rates offered in a TOU contract.

@helenmszabo has not clarified what the rental (for 6months) has in place for metering. It’s possible as mentioned previously, a tariff 11 and tariff 33 meter are installed to save on pool running costs. Our last home on the Coast had that set up.

2 Likes

That’s because it is subsidised to the tune of $500-600M a year by tax payers. If you are happy to pay more, then tell your local member you want choice, I’ll be happy to stop subsidising you!

No need. We have solar and battery and now pay a;lmost nothing to Ergon.

Perhaps you would like to see vehicle registrations and other Government charges increased for regional Queenslanders so you are not 'subsidising them from BrisVegas.

Probably a false argument that subsidising electricity generation costs reduces the number of retailers. Retailers are free to enter or leave the market in SEQ but are restricted in FNQ by Qld Govt legislation with only the ERGON energy generation provider allowed to also retail in line with this from the Qld Govt “still restricting retail competition in some areas where technical limitations exist or where there is no economic benefit to do so”.

What SEQ has is a large number of middlemen who sit between the generator ( who is Govt owned) and the consumer. Peter Beattie installed a system that he said would decrease the retail price paid but later admitted it didn’t work that way. Having to pay the retailers profits has only increased our pricing.

1 Like

I wasn’t arguing that at all. I’m just saying Ergon customers could do well to research how good they have it before questioning lack of choice.

Ahhh ok I understand that they have a lack of choice, perhaps adding some savings to the Govt in that they don’t have to also subsidise the profits of the middlemen.

Imagine the possible savings if we only had one retailer rather than paying for much larger numbers of retailers and their profit centres.

You have politicians over a barrel on that second point. I’m just saying in the overall scheme of things you are doing well, lack of choice in electricity retailer is part of the deal.

For the differences in Qld between the Deep South (Energex) and the rest of the State (Ergon).

Ergon customers pay a flat rate on tariff 11 of 21.756c/kWh.

Customers in the Energex supply region on tariff 11 can pay from 16c-28c/kWh. Canstar suggested any deal under 24c is a good outcome in SE Qld. It might depend on what is on offer on the day?

There is also an Ergon specific document that sets out the grand scheme for 2020-21, but it left the head spinning.

It’s important to understand the differences. Just don’t mention the differences in the price of petrol?

1 Like