Electric and Alternative Vehicle Fuels

Yes.

https://www.toyota-europe.com/download/cms/euen/Toyota%20Mirai%20FCV_Posters_LR_tcm-11-564265.pdf

But not as high as that at the bottom of the Mariana Trench in the Western Pacific Ocean 1086 bars approx.

Engineering of extrusion dies for Aluminium etc, the working pressures can exceed 7,000 bars or ten times that of the hydrogen storage used for a Mirai.

Not really rocket science, Toyota’s magic had been to manufacture crash robust hydrogen safe storage tanks at a reasonable weight.

Not a good idea with a lithium battery pack either, lithium being an alkali metal. It reacts with water, air and even nitrogen. Once a Tesla is alight they seem to keep on burning.

Aside:
A quick look at the magic and complexity of a hydrogen FCEV. Complex, but then it is Toyota. If it was GM or Ford it might be broken down before it left the assembly line.

1 Like

The focus of this article is General Motors, but there are some interesting market insights as well.

1 Like

Rivian EV’s spotted in NZ.

A good choice of Winter test sites. And great Covid free scenery for the promos. It’s currently summer in the US.

Lithium battery technology is temperature sensitive.
The usable capacity of a battery pack can reduce by more than 30% at low temperatures, substantially affecting vehicle range and performance.

Range loss due to colder weather is unlikely to be such an issue in Australia. Travellers to Tasmania or those off to the snow excepted.

1 Like

We could do so much better.

2 Likes

Things are moving so fast that it’s hard to keep up. And I don’t mean the trucks!

https://www.bigrigs.com.au/index.php/2021/06/23/brisbane-to-melbourne-on-a-single-battery/

3 Likes

When I went to watch “The Chef’s Line” on SBS TV on the TV in the kitchen this afternoon, my wife had left it switched on a commercial station with the audio muted so I did not hear the ad that was being broadcast.

It featured a girl attempting to drive a contraption on a track up a hill and then collecting another girl for another attempt when a male in a blue Totota sedan waves to them.

The on screen text showed “Fuel Cell”.

A Google search found this.

https://www.toyota.com.au/mirai

Marty McFly and Doc might have used an old De Lorean to get Back To The Future but it looks like Toyota has already arrived there.

Qld expands the rollout of EV charging stations in regional areas.

2 Likes

Who so far are going all Electric Car manufacturing the following is a good list

2 Likes

Capabilities, limitations and confidence. It looks like the early days of internal combustion transport.

1 Like

That Electric plane needs an awful lot of backup to do it’s flying with another plane (I assume a normal Fossil Fuelled one) to carry the charger. It might be commercially registered but novelty in almost every other way.

They’ll never replace the horse.

1 Like

They shouldn’t as they are nice animals mostly😀

I don’t see this particular type of plane replacing normal fuelled ones, I see the potential for advancement and a future vision. I mean the first flights of fuel driven flights weren’t huge distances and they progressed rapidly. I hope the same for renewable powered commercial flights.

About 32 metres for the Wright brothers’ first flight. The aircraft didn’t have landing gear, so it needed a launching rail to take off and was damaged when it came down. Electric aircraft are slightly more advanced, but basing assessment of possibilities on today’s reality is as futile as trying to imagine a jumbo jet at Kittyhawk.

Speaking of replacing the horse:

At around $15,000 the price is a bit steep. https://www.evokemotorcycles.com.au/online-order Then again, it looks like fun.
[edit]
Or you could get a really ugly motorcycle built locally:

https://savicmotorcycles.com/
One of the models is a bit cheaper than the Evoke.

1 Like

GM had set ambitious goal for future electric vehicle production to replace nearly all ICE designs with battery electric by 2035.

Part of the plan to use battery technology (pouch cells) supplied by partner LG is investment in two new US battery plants. The commentary suggests a battery cost of US$100/kWh. Competitive and possibly cheaper than Tesla.

The same LG pouch technology will be available to other manufacturers.

Interesting that they’ve gone from three engines to two, but each of the two is more than twice as powerful as each of the three. Payload and range are unchanged. How might Australian flight regulations change in response to the new technologies?

1 Like

A couple of planned long distance, hard hauling electric vehicles from Dodge.

1 Like

100kph = 27.778 metres per second
Or 1.414 g’s average acceleration.

A little late to the game?

The Taycan, can hit 100kph in 2.4 seconds, if anyone is wondering whether Dodge are world leaders in automotive performance. It’s always about the look of course. Just ask any owner why they purchased a Jeep or RAM! It’s highly likely that you may pass one parked on the road side or be held up by one at the servo bowser.

Hopefully for not too much longer! :wink:

2 Likes

Clarification from Tesla.

2 Likes