Eco Alliance Dynaheat heat pump hot water system

@mark_m, I have taken on board everything you have said and accept most of it. I have looked at my problems subjectively, not objectively. From my point of view I have obviously made a bad choice. I will stop dwelling on this and work towards a suitable replacement at some time when I can afford it.
Many thanks

2 Likes

I had a solar hotwater system on a rural property with tankwater and a quality DAB pump and I removed the tempering valve for the same reason, lack of pressure!

3 Likes

Shhhsh. . . don’t tell anyone.

I suspect this replacement scheme operated for the govt. is rather like the replace your globes with LED’s scheme that is still doing the rounds. (Phone calls about twice a week even though it has been done).
My 100W globes were replaced with inferior 7W LED’s which I have had to replace with higher power ones in order to not have to grope my way round the house. I suspect their hot water systems under this also free scheme uses a similar standard of heat pump unit, ie bottom of the barrel, no doubt costing the govt. squillions.

2 Likes

This is my opinion as well, but I accept I made a poor choice based on extremely limited & optimistic detail.

2 Likes

Is this the scheme under which the new HWS was obtained?

‘https://www.victorianenergysaver.vic.gov.au/save-energy-and-money/victorian-energy-upgrades/save-with-these-energy-efficient-products/hot-water-systems

It may assist others in the Choice Community considering this scheme if you able to offer some further feedback. EG How was the size of the replacement hot water system determined and who provided that advice?

The subsidies offered by the scheme are substantial. It’s not evident that the scheme promotes to provide a free replacement. There are several of the suppliers participating in the scheme who appear to be promoting ‘free’ upgrades. The Vic Govt in the referenced link makes no such claim.

@phb previously suggested taking your complaint back to the Govt administrator of the scheme. Does the scheme unintentionally result in suppliers offering lower capacity units relative to the available rebates? IE to make their product appear more attractive as a marketing strategy?

The following offer is actually that of a supplier!

I’m left a little confused. Is it the Victorian Govt offering to upgrade a consumer for free, or the supplier offering to do so by maximising their claims on your behalf on the scheme?

Note this supplier offers two choices of heat pump.
Midea 170l system suitable for 2-4 persons
Midea 280l system suitable for 4-6 persons

I’m not a Victorian. Perhaps someone in the community more familiar with the scheme can offer some greater explanation of how it is being implemented.

One possible interpretation is that the some of the suppliers may be making misleading statements. Can anyone and everyone get a free upgrade?

2 Likes

It is all here.

https://www.victorianenergysaver.vic.gov.au/save-energy-and-money/victorian-energy-upgrades/save-with-these-energy-efficient-products/hot-water-systems

3 Likes

Yeah. Highly reminiscent of the shonky solar system ads on MSN Australia with false claims such as.

• Get solar panels for almost free.
  • Get paid to get solar.
  • Images of ScoMo and Palaszczuk waving fistfulls of $100 notes.
  • That it is a new Federal Government scheme.
  • That it is a Qld scheme.
  • Etc, etc, etc.etc.

At least I have managed to have the dodgiest ones with the fistfulls of cash shut down.

1 Like

Did you try “daylight” or “cool white” LEDs they produce a more “white” tone than the usual warm white (more yellow tones). 7W in cool white or daylight are not dim and produce good area lighting.

3 Likes

I second this. I can’t stand the yellow tones. Or the blues either. Ones labelled cool daylight or cool white have been my preferred

3 Likes

My sons & I live in regional SA, and am currently contracted with Ecovantage for heat pump installation/s - when they are able to send accredited installers to places outside of Adelaide, including a 100km radius

The company appears to be Melbourne based, but I have had clear communication with them.

Further, here is a link to a clear statement of energy productivity & specs on offer from our State Govt: not all items are available to “anyone and everyone”, but I think is still generous. Although I will be paying quite a bit extra for the travel involved, due to location, the base cost is $99.00 for each HWS. One of my sons is getting a twin system (due to family size) for the same outlay.

NB the link below DOES work - its just that there is no accompanying graphic!

https://www.escosa.sa.gov.au/industry/reps/activities/reps-activities

2 Likes

@evanstrish3 I know a number of people who are very happy with the price and the product, but just check that the actual hot water capacity is as stated so you are sure the new unit will meet your needs. We changed from a approx 300 litre off peak hot water service to a 215 litres hot water service, but ours only delivers 100litres of HOT water (the thermostat is half way up the tank).
Please ask the supplier to verify your new hot water service heats the whole tank of water, not just the top half.

1 Like

How do you know how much hot water it delivers? Did you measure it in some way or are you assuming that if the thermostat is half way it only heats half way? Have you asked the manufacturer about this?

1 Like

Quite right, I shall comment no more (although I can assure you we get but 100litres of HOT water). My previous dealings with the company were fruitless.

A general comment on Heat Pump Air Sourced Hot Water systems.

In addition to heating the water using the air sourced heat pump, the HWS typically include a seperate electric boost.

The ‘’Electric Boost’ function is intended to operate under a number of conditions, by exception. Hence it has a limited capacity to save energy. Several units I’ve looked at from other manufacturers have adopted an energy limiting strategy for the boost function. They only heat the upper half of the tank in boost mode. The thermostat on the side of the tank for the boost function is located approximately half way up the side of the tank.

Refer to the example manual I’ve linked. Rheem example. Unfortunately the owner manual for the Eco Alliance Heat Pump HWS is less informative on this operation.

The heat pump in normal operation heats the full volume capacity of the tank. In the instance there is fault with the operation of the heat pump unit, (eg low refrigerant gas pressure) the design of the HWS ensures delivery of hot water using the boost function. But at reduced volume. IE One likely symptom would be a loss of hot water capacity.

1 Like

The Eco Alliance HWS does not have a booster element. The Thermostat/Thermister (midway up the tank) is wired directly to the remote heat pump.

1 Like

Hi guys installed a 215lt eco alliance heat pump that replaced an instantaneous rheem gas unit the house is totally of grid runs on solar and storage batteries we get snow there several times a year .system is set to heat water to 60C i have put the power outlet on a timer so that the power cuts in at 8.45 am so the solar system has had time to replenish the batteries fully it then cuts in and runs for may be an hr using about 815 watts of power we have a pressure pump that feeds power to the whole house but it is also gravity feed if no pump in use . the only time we ran it out of hot water is when we filled the spa bath. the unit has the ability to run all day to 8pm it never comes on to reheat and water is still boiling when you shower before 8.45 am system was totally free with gov rebate and probably saved us $750 in bottled gas over 12 months and did not miss a beat over winter . but it needs pump pressure to work , we also never used any of our gas appliances over the last 12 months just electric hot plates and micro waves from our solar system with 2 full size fridges and bar fridge we had generating systems before plus gas fridges as well as electric . so i cannot fault the system . for our area solar hot water would have needed 2.5 to 3.5 kw booster to heat water over winter and load up power consumption on battery storage. replaced all our lights to leds which are brighter and half the consumption.

2 Likes

An update on the twin installation

He is thrilled with their heat pumps: haven’t run out of hot water yet (with a blended family of 3 adults & 5 kids), AND - their electricity bills have dropped by >$600.00 since the old electric HWS was replaced

2 Likes

Was there any resolution to your problem?

I suspect the problem is that it runs off peak only 11pm -7am. These systems are designed to be on all the time hence lower tank volume 215L than a comparable old school resistive element electric off peak of 315L.

No resolution, this hotwater is still (for me) rubbish. It cuts on and off as required all day, but because it lacks insulation it has to reheat between 2am and 4am every night. And because of lack of capacity (it is 250l but the thermostat is half way up the tank, so only about 125 litres is hot) we are always running out of hot water.

1 Like