Dryers without reverse tumbling

we have a couple of dogs and dog hair is a constant issue. So bedding gets washed regularly. I looked at a couple of 10kg machines but the sales persons could not give me a definitive guarantee. The best response I got was from a salesman who suggested I bring in a bedspread to see if it would physically fit. He also said if it the machine didn’t do the job satisfactorily I could return it no problems. I may go that seller.

2 Likes

If you are prepared to spend between $1,500 and $2,000, then I would strongly recommend you consider the Fisher & Paykel 9kg Series 9 Heat Pump Dryer DH9060FS model. I paid $1,670 for it from AppliancesOnline.

It is the best dryer I have ever had. It is really cheap to run and it has a whole bunch of settings and options. I’ve worked out for my regular load of darks that the heat pump on speed mode and dry/extra-dry (the mid point) gives an excellent result in just over an hour and 15 minutes for 5 kg of spun dry items.

I use it to dry superking sheets all the time and I have used it on doonas. There is a reverse tumble feature for these modes (but not all modes) so I would go through the options and pick the ones that work best for you.

Only negative is that in the sensor dry modes it doesn’t give a time left to finished. It does for the timed modes but the sensor modes are the way to go.

3 Likes

As @phb states and as we do, for the extra large blankets etc we have we wash and dry them at the laundromat as it is more cost effective than buying a larger unit just for the infrequent use we would make of the very large units.

3 Likes

Thanks for the info gds.

3 Likes

So have you had any problems with the large items tangling?

1 Like

No spin dryer can ever be 100% perfect in not tangling very large single items.

I’ve used dryers for nearly 30 years (I’m that old) and this one seems to do it a lot less than others.

I make it a point to check about 45 minutes in and take the larger items (anything superking or heavy) and put back in.

It does bath towels even the large bath sheets no problems and flat and fitted king-size sheets are fine.

The king doonas and bed spreads and the superking sheets and items need a bit of manual TLC to be sure to get the best with minimal creasing.

I hang them immediately when they come out warm to keep the wrinkles out. When they have cooled, I fold them.

Sensor driers, if they work correctly, are not supposed to overdry items.

My first sensor dryer was an Asko - it was great for 17 years and it had an auto-reverse mode for all settings. I then went to Bosch with a heat pump dryer sensor unit and it was Choice recommended but it didn’t have a reverse mode so I couldn’t use it for large sheets etc which I would hang in the laundry but they didn’t come out as soft if air dried.

This heat pump sensor dryer is as good as I think you’ll get without going to the large format commercial dryers in laundromats - the extra size really helps prevent creasing.

2 Likes

Thanks very much.

1 Like