Dodgy Warranty Information?

We had to return a handheld GME two-way radio (one of a pair) back to Anaconda Launceston today (with receipt) as it failed to work…it appears that the push to talk (PPT) was either faulty or in the on position so that it would transmit but wouldn’t disengage so that it could receive.

We bought the pair and charger from Anaconda in early April and it has had very light use since then (maybe on 12 days for up to an hour each day). I also indicated that it was a major fault as the product was no longer usable.

On returning the faulty product to Anaconda we were told initially by their point of sale person that they don’t do exchanges or refunds if the product was bought over 28 days ago (maybe they don’t understand what a change in mind and faulty product is), and that they would have to wait for GME to let them know how to proceed with the returned product. I said that this was unsatisfactory as we had driven some distance (54km) to return the product to Anaconda and were unwilling to wait for a resolution from GME.

I was told that they deal with product issues from all around the place and being come distance from Launceston was no concern to them.

They called the store supervisor (most senior person working on a Sunday) who came to the front of the store and he also said that he can’t offer a resolution until he had spoken to GME. He said he would try and ring GME to see if anyone was working in their warranty section to see if he could get advice on how to resolve the faulty product. He said that Anaconda had to follow GME warranty process and this involved contacting GME to determine how they wish to resolve.

I made it clear that this seemed to be inconsistent with my rights as a consumer but was willing to wait until a phone call was made. No surprises, no-one was working at GME and the supervisor said he can’t do anything until he speaks to GME. He said to leave the product at Anaconda and they would contact them tomorrow or coming days to get GME advice.

As I was there with my family, I didn’t want to make a scene and push the issue as they Anaconda Launceston staff don’ seem to understand the Australian Consumer Law nor consumer’s rights when a product has a major failure.

I left the faulty product with Anaconda, as they indicated that they may have to send it to a service agent to get fixed or source a replacement if it couldn’t be fixed. They said that usually it takes 2 or more weeks. I asked again if it was possible to get an exchange and was told that Anaconda can’t resolve until they have spoken to GME.

It appears that Anaconda can’t make decisions about the products it sells unless they speak to their suppliers about what can and can’t be done. This does make a mockery of the retailer’s responsibilities under the ACL.

hhhmmmmmm…

I will post an update when have heard from Anaconda Launceston…hopefully tomorrow.

8 Likes