Do we Need to Regulate Google and Facebook

If there is an insidious trend it is the contempt shown for everyday Australian’s, our democratic institutions and their appointed representatives.

One might ask whether “X”, also used in mathematics to represent an unknown quantity cares enough about reputation in Australia to respond. Regulation vs shareholder value vs consumer awareness.

How does one take the debate to “X” other than by becoming part of its ill informed bubble?

I think they will eventually respond because the Australian government can probably find some way of blocking Twitter entirely within Australia (a la the Chinese government) so that only people using a VPN or other similar technology will be able to access it, until Twitter does respond.

That will solve the problem one way or the other. If Twitter still doesn’t care then they are no longer operating in Australia and whatever the Australian government’s complaint was it is no longer relevant.

You mean like exempting political parties from things like the Do Not Call Register?

In other social media news, I hear that Joe Biden’s team has created an account on “Truth Central”. Trolling the troll!

In terms of the number of times, say, a month that is actually a problem for me … no. In that respect, the exemption for charities is actually more of a problem (in my case).

But … stinker is in the nose of the beholder.

One more compelling reason why we need to change how digital platforms manage their content.

https://choice.community/t/bitcoin-scams/17941/170

Are these types of faked scam adverts becoming more polished and sophisticated?
There are several recent powerful examples of use of the mass media and communication to twist and distort fact.

Facebook knows.

Care factor?
One view point from the article.

“It’s pretty easy to go into the Facebook ad library and use some of the key search terms that come up in these ads and you’ll find dozens of them or more,” Professor Andrejevic says.
“I don’t think it would be hard for Facebook to find them, which led us to conclude that Facebook just doesn’t really have a high motivation to seek them out and stop them, in part because it doesn’t seem to face liability for what’s happening … and they make money off of them.”

Facebook has successfully penetrated the lives of so many it now ranks as an essential need, Corporate or human.
Not on Facebook?
……….:wink: