Do we Need to Regulate Google and Facebook

Facebook cops another smackdown.

Straight from the horse’s mouth.

Or if you prefer, from the other end of the horse.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?id=1610342069289340&story_fbid=2947105312279669

1 Like

Using Google Maps? A new patent strongly suggests you may get more advertising while using your Google Maps in the future.

4 Likes

An article regarding research showing Australians are ditching Facebook.

So sad. Too bad.

2 Likes

The dust settling!
Murdoch is happy, Scot Morrison is happy, Facebook is happy, Rod Simms Chair of the ACCC is …?

Alan Kohler suggests that the outcome has been largely to the benefit of a single business.

When pointed out to Rod Simms that the current outcomes are far from perfect,

At an on-the-record Q&A event in Melbourne last week, Mr Sims said: “For reasons of their own, Google and Facebook strongly don’t want to pay for news on search and news feed. Fine. The news media companies don’t care what the money is for. So I just think it’s a perfect outcome.”

“But”, I followed up, “this does nothing to address the dominance of Google and Facebook”.

“This is one problem at a time”, Sims responded.

One thing has changed.
Google and Facebook remain dominant, in a position mutually agreed to by NewsCorp.

One thing may not have changed?
CEO Robert Thomson said: “Rupert and Lachlan Murdoch led a global debate while others in our industry were silent or supine …”

He also gave credit elsewhere, where it is due: “We are grateful to the Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison, Treasurer Josh Frydenberg and …”

3 Likes

Some commentators have said that the reaction from Facebook was more about heading off the first attempt at intervention not so much the particular issue that was the putative cause. They objected so strenuously this time to try to fend of the thin end of the wedge of regulation for fear of what might happen in future. There seems to be some truth in that to me.

2 Likes

This scares me.

4 Likes

Facebook, Google, Apple and a few more already have control of the minds of many.

Reading minds …
Linger longer glancing at Jeep’s as you walk down the street, just a by a few milliseconds, compared to more common Hyundai. The opportunity to on sell that detail, priceless.

I’d be more concerned about the content such devices capture. About the user and of those in the environment nearby.

Privacy in public has never really existed, although anonymity has been mostly accepted. Every such wearable device becomes a potential street cam. Is it reasonable to suggest that any associated digital data is already legally accessible to those who need it for …?

4 Likes

Well yes. Thats why it scares me

1 Like

Quote of the month:

“I think social media has become so corrupt that people are not believing it anymore”

From the man who knows no irony nor the meaning of the word; Donald J Trump.

2 Likes

Facebook is trusted by a huge number of people to the point they trust what they read on it, regardless of source, more than their doctor or any public institution.

4 Likes

High Court finds media outlets are responsible for Facebook comments in Dylan Voller defamation case

The High Court has dismissed an appeal by some of Australia’s biggest media outlets including The Sydney Morning Herald and The Australian, finding they are the publishers of third-party comments on their Facebook pages.

Today, the High Court rejected the argument that, to be a publisher, an outlet must know of the relevant defamatory matter and intend to convey it.

The court found that, by creating a public Facebook page and posting content, the outlets had facilitated, encouraged and thereby assisted the publication of comments from third-party Facebook users, and they were, therefore, publishers of those comments.

1 Like

I guess that these publishers will need to be careful in future to either actively monitor comments to their posts and remove those that may present legal problems, or just disable comments.

1 Like

While I have an intense dislike for the targets of this case, it sets a worrying precedent that could see website owners completely blocking user-generated content.

Is CHOICE expected to police every comment made in its Community? I know it does a pretty reasonable job, with the help of community members, but can it be confident that every corner of the Community is adequately monitored?

The decision must terrify all Australian publishers of user-generated content.

3 Likes

Possibly so. Some already monitor all comments and each must be approved before being published. This is obviously labour intensive and fallible.

To me this looks like another step in a long process of the law working out how to deal with each of many aspects of new tech. So far we are just interpreting new situations in terms of existing law, not coming to grips with what new law might be required. Where it ends up is hard to say. I think we can expect to see some strange interim outcomes along the way to any resolution that may be found in the long run.

As this ruling would seem to put a crimp into the commercial model of some very big players there could be some heavy high level lobbying going on as we speak.

1 Like

What an amazing revelation, not, that meets common sense as well as evidence at hand.

3 Likes

From the article:

allowed Brazilian footballer Neymar to post nude pictures of a woman who had accused him of rape

I know I have good reasons not to be on Facebook, but this is just one more nail in what would be its coffin if its members and advertisers acted based upon conscience.

2 Likes

I’d add it needs many others including the media to make the first move.

Facebook appears in so many places. This includes as a way to provide your identity to other services, to communicate with the media or contact a business.

Our local Water Watch and Landcare group rely on it to keep members up to date. Except for a few luddites, I being one who still choose email, or log in to the web service.

1 Like

I can see benefits, but is Facebook better than the alternatives?

Its monopoly has forced the hand of many, especially businesses.

Fraudulent accounts copying real individuals is also rife. We reported a profile pretending to be a friend this morning and got the standard response:

Thanks for letting us know about something that you think may go against our Community Standards. Reports like yours are an important part of making Facebook a safe and welcoming environment.

We’ll review the profile you’ve reported and follow up with your friend when we’ve made a decision.

If you no longer want us to review the account, please delete this report.

Thanks

It came to our attention as we were getting strange messages out of character with our friend. Our friend possibly isn’t aware of their profile being used by potential scammers. Looking at the fraudulent profile the list of friends were also suspicious. Have asked for reports back so will see if Facebook takes action against this ‘pretend’ profile.

It did make us check that our profile hadn’t been set up by a scammer. Possibly this is a check others should do regularly.

1 Like

Some light relief.

It happens to all of us?
Some very clear messaging to be sure.

PM announces fast-tracked plan to reopen international borders

How good is ‘Social Media’! :roll_eyes:

I’ve left again…. Those entities are never going to be regulated, because even the government is in need of what they offer.