DNA Test Experiences and Implications

Unless you pay enough for it or it is stolen. Ancestry’s (or any other family history DNA scheme) ownership of rights to use the data obtained is what is scary to me as is how the data is stored. There is an article on Gizmodo about the rights issue from 2017 that is somewhat illuminating about the rights:

Having the ability to find a missing family link can be a very important piece of your identity puzzle and in no way am I dismissing that. My concern is the loss of real control, not the seeming control, you have over this data and the samples you provided. Hopefully the businesses who have this data and samples have very strong good ethics and very strong data protections but how long does it take to have a change of ethics to something of an opposite tilt or to be lax in control of & thus security of that data.

1 Like

It would seem this is a more common circumstance, than many suspect. It extends well beyond the stolen generations. Our recent ancestors seemed just as intent in reassigning or loosing some of their own relationships as they were in changing the lives of others. It appears a time honoured British tradition.

The use of DNA and the family data base projects such as Ancestry have added two new families to ours. Both instances were 20th century events. In both instances the missing members were keen to find and connect to their near relations. But as you point out not all near relations desire discovery. Something to be aware of and respect.

Like others have suggested there are alternate uses for the collected data that challenge the good faith of those contributing. Even those who are not active on Ancestry are probably already mapped and daily become more closely identifiable through the DNA of relatives.

P.S.
Ancestry’s cloak on the living is not perfect. It relies in part on what and how individuals enter and link data, most notably for those recently living. Still not quite to the extent of Face-plant which shares more intimate details daily, or Spotlight etc sending out special offers for your birthday.

1 Like

Ancestry Health has the very real potential to be that Face-plant type of experience, " Your family DNA has some health risks…join up today to find out what they are. Our linked health service providers will also be able to tell you how to manage those risks…Join today and receive a 10% discount on any health products you buy from our selected suppliers" would be something that might suddenly and unexpectedly arrive.

2 Likes

Our family research has revealed a great deal of information, especially on my wife’s side, including a direct line to Robert the Bruce, King of Scotland.

Perhaps you two are long lost very distant cousins?

However, our Ancestry DNA tests, especially mine, has not provided much so far.

2 Likes

Another take on if there has been benefit:

Perhaps it has provided much to someone or some others just that they may not be family members who have benefited. The DNA test payment, the data obtained & managed. The corporate side of things may have benefited greatly, it however is unclear.

The more people who share their data will improve the chances that you will get more matches, another point is the more people who share the greater the data that is available to be used by others who have no interest in you finding your family lines but rather in their ability to benefit from such an archive of data in many other ways.

2 Likes

There are challenges for those using the Ancestry DNA that are not apparent from the marketing of the product. You only get back what you put in might be an appropriate caution?

There are some considerable family trees in the Ancestry data base.

It’s taken many decades of dedicated research to build them. Long hours at libraries, state archives, the not inconsequential expense of purchasing access to documents or even more for professional researches in another country. For our extended family and the two ladies who have done it all without the aid of DNA guidance, sharing all with a random stranger reported as a possible third or forth cousin is just a waste, unless there is something in return!

Many family trees are consequently hidden or inaccessible. People do so to protect their work from misuse, or for commercial gain, or perhaps embarrassments, or lots of reasons?

Note: From our use of the Ancestry product and a similar PC product over many years.
Those trees dating back more than a hundred years or so and those linking to famous characters in history are the exception.

There are some very large trees that contain substantial errors, or are completed based on guess work or hunches or perhaps a fair assumption (unproven).

Historical records dating back prior to the early 1800’s tend to be limited, often only recording details of those of value, importance or criminality. And for many communities where written records were sparse, religious and political upheaval everyday and property assigned only to the titled, few written records of everyday individuals exist. History was passed on orally. Eg highlands of Scotland.

It’s an interesting topic, but don’t be fooled by expecting want isn’t there to be found. We can trace 3 out of 4 family back to the early 1800’s reliably, and one family further only because of their apparent wealth as landowners.

The best use of the DNA has been to identify other family history researches with common family members, who are also seeking the same common links!

2 Likes

Indeed, we have some lines that can be followed to about 1600’s but most peter out late 1700s. To go further back with any certainty you need to have great importance in society for your forebears to have any hope of tracing them.

If you believe in the Bible or similar eg Torah or Qur’an (I am not belittling faiths here but saying what is based on their beliefs) you could place Adam and Eve at the beginning of your family history. Even genetically we all must have sprung from a common ancestral type. I just don’t think we can easily fill in the blanks in between once some level of accurately recorded history is no longer in place. For the vast majority of us many of our ancestors would have been common folk who rated very little importance in what records were kept beyond perhaps the numbers of us.

There was a study of the transmission of a genetically determined disease in the UK. I cannot for the life of me recall its name or the authors. They took blood samples from hundreds of volunteer families who had a sufferer, as many generations as would join in, and did analysis of blood and also (I think) DNA markers and compared the results to physical signs of the disorder. To make sure their analysis of the genetics of the disease was not corrupted by familial relationships that were not as stated (eg adoptions) they checked known blood types and subtypes whose transmission from one generation to the next were well understood.

The results were always going to be reported anonymously and in aggregate. However publication was delayed when they were thrown into an ethical quandary because some 8% of children could not have been sired by their putative father. This was a problem as the sufferers and their families were not a random anonymous selection from the population but an identifiable group. As well some of them knew each other from support groups etc. I believe other studies have come up with results around the same level.

There are similar opportunities for anxiety for some people if (more likely when) they discover not all their ancestors belong to the race they proudly proclaim as theirs.

2 Likes

Probably, I also have a direct line to him, and beyond. But so do thousands of others :slight_smile:

1 Like

This. I get very annoyed when I see that someone has saved some information from my tree, and theirs is set to private. Its nearly enough to make one’s tree completely private. And maybe thats why people do it.

3 Likes

I have used Family Tree Maker to build our family tree over the past decade and keep it private on our computers…

We obtained the data from a great many sources including Ancestry membership, family records, libraries, Qld State Archives and such like.

One thing that amuses me is when searching family trees on Ancestry is when one encounters glaring errors in one public family tree which is then repeated in many other public family trees.

Obviously many persons just blindly play follow the leader with no idea regarding checking what they read.

It is also amazing as to just how many skeletons one finds in one’s family history cupboard.

1 Like

Spot on @Fred123. Thanks it’s great to hear shared insight.

It’s all too easy to accept sources as reliable, without further checking. Even a source considered reliable such as the Later Day Saints, whose ultimate project is to connect all of us. I have a 2xG G-Mother who that organisation and subsequently others attribute to being from Ireland. Reality is she was born in Scotland and her parents were from near modern Manchester in England. The answer is on her death certificate and father’s military service record from the early 1800’s. The DNA test results don’t add or detract from that outcome. It’s likely the LDS have a partial death record for my military ancestor who was discharged and retired to a local farm while his unit was serving in Ireland.

Perhaps at this level of interest sharing family information may not be too great a risk? It is currently much easier to search back, than it is to search forward from a relative, or to identify contemporaries. That is unless they too have shared a large public tree. Ancestry also advises where there are likely common links to closed trees, alerting uses to their presence and enabling an internal contact, (optionally anonymous). But also open to exploitation if you have the time, knowledge and needs.

I think you will find only books and paper in ours. :rofl:

2 Likes

Those royals were randy beggars, so many descendants. If you subscribe to an ancestry type service and cannot find a royal somewhere you aren’t trying. Now if you want to go for spreading your seed widely consider one of my (possible) ancestors Ghazi Ud Din Haidar, the last Nawab of Oudh. He had several wives, dozens of concubines and somewhere around 70 children, nobody is too sure as unless you were a principal wife or son of same little notice was taken.

4 Likes

YESSS!. I always check what I find against other evidence if that is available. If it isnt, I tend to not use it, unless its something I know for sure is true (eg something about my adoptive Mum or Dad)

4 Likes

A concern of the use of DNA Family History databases for Law Enforcement scooping has been actually documented in the USA. How soon to be here and if a wrong type Govt what use might they make of the stored info:

5 Likes

US law enforcement now has access to the DNA of those in Australia who have had their DNA test via one of the US based companies.

4 Likes

I have always wondered about what happens to those which may have also been tested for DNA including to rule out a individual out in the case of a crime. I suspect that any DNA samples and results collected by any agency is kept on file for future reference, no differently to say fingerprints.

Extending access or privately submitted DNA samples for testing (for heritage determinations, for risk of medical conditions etc) is concerning on one hand, but on the other it one hasn’t done anything wrong, then there (hopefully) would not be any issues.

Accessing privately held DNA databases is moving towards a surveillance state. The western media seems to criticise the Chinese ‘artificial intelligence camera’ surveillance system to ‘control’ its citizens, but to me this is far worse. What next, the US government collecting medical pathology samples (which are traditionally incinerated or disposed of appropriately) or taking blood samples at birth to DNA profile all individuals?

While it may be a good tool to solve crimes, I wonder if when submitting samples for personal DNA testing if individuals thought about what its future use could be extended to. I am sure that the T&Cs would have been silence on such matters…and also shows that any government can enact legislation which in effect invalidates any privacy T&Cs (one thinks may provide protection for one’s own personal information).

Just looking at a well know DNA tester (Ancestry), their T&Cs state the following:

Ancestry does not voluntarily cooperate with law enforcement. To provide our Users with the greatest protection under the law, we require all government agencies follow valid legal process.*

If we are compelled to disclose your Personal Information to law enforcement, we will do our best to provide you with advance notice, unless we are prohibited under the law from doing so. In the interest of transparency, Ancestry produces a Transparency Report where we list the number of valid law enforcement requests for user data across all our sites.*

and

We may share your Personal Information if we believe it is reasonably necessary to:

• Comply with valid legal process (e.g., subpoenas, warrants);
  • Enforce or apply the Ancestry Terms and Conditions;
  • Protect the security or integrity of the Services; or
  • Protect the rights, property, or safety, of Ancestry, our employees or users.

Ancestry also disclosures (it calls transparency) the number of law enforcement requests for information they hold, in

• 2018 there were 10 requests (for 7 information was released, , none being in relation to DNA),
  • 2017 there were 34 requests (for 31 information was released, none being in relation to DNA)
  • 2016 there were 9 requests (for 8 information was released, none being in relation to DNA)
  • 2015 there were 14 requests (for 13 information was released, one being in relation to DNA)

All the above requests also appears to be from US enforcement agencies. It will be interesting to see if requests including those relating to DNA increase in future years.

2 Likes

Another article regarding a cold case finally being solved through DNA testing.

Week after week, these grubs are finally being brought to justice thanks to DNA testing.

I expect there are a great many offenders out there fearing that dreaded knock on the door.

Until insurance companies can routinely get it to deny cover because of risk of inherited disease, or denial of some license because you have a family history of [say] epilepsy regardless that you have no symptoms and no suspicion.

It is as much about slippery slopes as it is about current practices.

3 Likes

Reviving this topic because - karma. :smile:

4 Likes