Dishwashing Liquid Review 2024

I use the cheap Earth Choice all the time - it does the same job as the more expensive brands !!! so why waste money ?

I have some feedback on the testing method, after a disappointing personal experience based on the 2024 review.

I switched from a product rated 45% in the review, based on its sustainability and ethical rating, to one rated 70% (whose maker I’m much happier with). I know 70% isn’t the top score but I thought it would at least beat the one I’d been using previously. Instead I’m finding that the greasy non-stick cookware which is most of my handwashing is left coated with a film of oil and I have to do another wash to get them clean - which is cancelling the sustainability of the product somewhat.

I was confused by this result until I read the testing method for the review, which is just based on getting rid of stains from typical dinner plate leftovers - not removing grease. I’m not sure why given that most households have dishwashers so probably most hand washed items are cookware, large knives and other utensils that can’t go in a dishwasher. I’ve looked at other consumer tests and they use oil and soaking, not scrubbing, to test detergents - see The Wirecutter, Which? magazine and Good Housekeeping.

As the Wirecutter review says “if you scrub hard enough with any detergent, your dish will come clean” so I wonder why Choice has placed so much importance on scrubbing and stains?