Dementia Prevention & Treatment Research

1 Like

Of course its unjustified. Theres been this HUGE thing about Alzheimers… tons of publicity and every kind of dementia labelled Alzheimers. Back in the day, I worked in the field for a number of years and also back then, the only kind of dementia which was Alzheimers was the early onset one. Alois Alzheimer observed it in a patient of his who was only 47 at the time… I’ve nursed people in their 40s and 50s who had it, and yes, theres probably a genetic component to that. Most of the others are related to interrupted blood supply to various parts of the brain and the reasons for that probably are not genetic. There’s also alcohol related dementias. I’ve forgotten most of the labels we had for those (its been a long time and I am not yet demented, its just something I haven’t needed to know since 1987). Another thing that can happen is a urinary tract infection being misdiagnosed as dementia… in the elderly a UTI can have all kinds of consequences including apparent dementia… antibiotics soon sort it out. I got seriously cranky when everything was shoved under the same label, when the diseases are nothing alike.

2 Likes

Chocolate and red wine? Sounds like the foundations of a healthy diet to me! :partying_face: