Defribulater for Workplace - Can't get Batteries?

I imagine it would depend on whether the AED discharged the battery over time to when spares are bought and replaced. Discharge could occur with self checks, displays or use (actual on a patient or part of testing regime). If the AED caused a discharge, then a appropriately stored spare battery could last a long time…and possibly mid battery life replacement isn’t needed…only when the battery ‘expires’.

In relation to business systems, many businesses have safety management systems which have processes/procedures in place for the maintenance of safety equipment and its replacement. This includes things like PPE (hard hats, respirators etc), climbing equipment (ladders, ropes, harnesses etc), electrical equipment (test and tag, electrical safety devices) and other plant and equipment. It is common practice to have such systems in place.

In relation to smoke detectors, having done fire safety training in s former job, the fire fighter who did the training recommended spare batteries for the detector to ge kept, and batteries automatically replaced on the 1 April each year. The reason for keeping spare batteries was that they have found if a detector does a low battery beep, many homeowners remove batteries to stop the beeping and if a spare isn’t ready at hand, it is ultimately replaced when the homeowner remembers to buy one… which could be never.

Yeah, self-test/checks discharge battery. The manual on mine also mentions environmental temperatures impact battery life too.

I recently upgraded to interconnected smoke alarms from standalone 10yr battery and replaceable battery ones Smoke alarms - 10 year lithium battery models - #21 by Chris51. So I am effectively using the standalone 10yr or rechargeable battery ones as a backup to interconnected ones LOL

phb - Discharge could occur with self checks, displays or use (actual on a patient or part of testing regime).

There are no condition checks/state of battery with this unit, just battery power is available, or it is not. When the battery is about to run out, it alarms and beeps every 5 minutes a couple of times. Just enough to drive you crazy going what the heck is beeping every so often (!)

This means there is battery monitoring where the circuitry would cause minor discharge to measure the potential across the battery terminals. The same applies for smoke detectors and this will cause the battery to go flat faster than if the battery had been stored appropriately for future use.

Thinking further, I wonder if the AED battery warranty is for storage and not usage. Many batteries (AA, AAA, C, D etc) have ‘best is used by dates’ for storage of the battery. This date is different to the date where batteries will still last to. This might explain why a spare is needed and why the AED has battery monitoring to let users know when the battery has reached its end of functional life. Only the manufacturer will be able to confirm what the limited battery warranty means or its intention. As the warranty isn’t clear, you rightly can use your right to obtain a replacement battery under their current warranty wording.

I apologise if I was unclear. I am not talking about a back up defibrillator but a back up battery. In our work place that was an essential part of the training and set up.
And there’s a unit on each floor but of course we had many more employees.

Smoke detectors are wired in by law now with battery back up and checked regularly by the fire service both in my workplace and my apartment building. So not quite equivalent