December Foods Champions Challenge: Food that we don't like

Here’s the link:

3 Likes
3 Likes

To have missed growing up on Apricot chicken. Tragedy!

To have missed out on lumpy mashed potato. I wish! :roll_eyes:

We always had a ready supply of apricots, canned and dried in the kitchen cupboard (pantry in wealthier mansions). Deb was supposedly the solution to the mash. I’m surprised it was not near the top of the list.

Some inspiration. Or an explanation for the ranking?
Thanks @Gaby
How can you go wrong with chicken?

3 Likes

For those who may have missed the cultural allusion here Deb is not Her Indoors (although the maker may have had that idea tucked away somewhere) but prepackaged dried potato powder.

4 Likes

‘The Daily Mail’.
Bastion of all that is not right in the world including Dick Smith promoting product he never agreed to endorse? :joy:

If marketing product Deb instant potato ticks nearly all the boxes. It’s convenient due to the light weight and compact instant formula. It’s quick and easy to prepare. It’s also ideal for those unexpected guests who drop in whenever they feel like a free meal. Double portions for them. Hope they don’t grow to like it.

Why Deb may not be the most perfect or best value product?
It was heavily promoted in it’s day as the busy mums solution to being perfection. It’s still available in more than one flavour. Whether it’s gag inducing and best pushed to the side one only needs to look at the ingredients list and country of origin label.

3 Likes

No wonder I hated that stuff. Put me off creamy mash for life. Give me lumps!!

4 Likes

My mother was a great cook but Apricot Chicken I could not stomach it pardon the pun . Let the chicken stand on it’s own merits taste wise . Sort of like putting water in a good whisky :smiley:

7 Likes

I feel like this is relevant here:

9 Likes

Casu Marzu reminded me of an uncle who would serve a similar cheese as a special treat when we visited.
With a piece of bread he’d hunt the tiny white worms wriggling all over the plate, saying it was all good cheese!
I was a child and felt disgusted at the sight!

4 Likes

Eggplant, aubergine… Just because it’s not poison, doesn’t mean it’s food. When will the government do something???

4 Likes

They are all in the pockets of the peak body AubergineOZ who make big big donations. I doubt you will see any action to ban this foreign substance. Another way out of the problem is to find somebody who can cook it well.

3 Likes

Anything with a fudgy texture, including many unworthy “health” or sports bars. On the other hand I could but probably shouldn’t eat my body weight in offal and oysters. Beef tendon is a favourite

3 Likes

I’m a late green/yellow person. As soon as they are all yellow that’s too far gone

1 Like

Bananas?
To each their own. Perhaps there is agreement everyone prefers bananas different ways or not at all. A fruit universally disliked if served other than to preference? :wink:

Depending on the variety EG cavendish, lady fingers, sugar bananas … yellow plus brown spots or black assures the most and sweetest of flavour. Green bananas are starchy like raw potato, with ripening progressively converting the starches to sugars.

I have a similar preference with pears. Full colour, softish, sweet and dripping juice, but not mush or floury. Crunchy just does not do it for me, although others I know can only eat them crisp.

Ok - I’ll be the weirdo…LOATHE avocado - both taste & texture. I can’t eat it to be polite. My mum on the other hand, won’t eat baby octopus as she is convinced the little suckers on their tentacles will stick to her throat on the way down - I’ve known her to have a nightmare that a baby octopus crawled right back up to get out. Yes, she was watching way too much X-Files. :rofl:

4 Likes

I dislike white chocolate because it hasn’t the colour, the flavour, the texture of milk/dark chocolate, which I love.
It is a bland, sugary, vanilla flavoured confection, made from cocoa butter which is the ingredient of some lip balms!

3 Likes

Ditto. A similar blend to that of lard and icing sugar. One a key flavour of streaky bacon, the other cake icing. It should be a marriage made in a happy place. I might just be jealous as bacon fat is to be personally avoided. :wink:

2 Likes

I’m sorry to the Finn’s I know but some of your Christmas casseroles are not my thing.

Either is edamame. No thanks.

Oh and tripe gets in the bin please.

3 Likes

Mum and Dad loved tripe done in the pressure cooker and served with a white sauce with parsley. YUK!

4 Likes

Brilliant food, high protein and can be done so many ways beyond white sauce.

3 Likes