Decaff coffee taste test

Likewise, but only occasionally when out. More likely to have peppermint tea :slight_smile:

4 Likes

When Coast Roast was first operating in Cairns a few decades ago, their motto was “Life is too short to drink bad coffee”.

2 Likes

I find the Vitoria Decaf is good. However, if you are located on the Bellarine Vic or are happy to mail order, Capra Coffee have a brilliant decaf bean product. They are our locals roasters and I actually look forward to having a decaf occasionally.

We recently changed to a fully automatic Gaggia that grinds to order. The decaf is preground and added via a chute. I am a real coffee snob who prefers to go without than drink crap coffee. However, I don’t like having too much caffeine. Good decaf is possible.

2 Likes

Decaf does not have to be a poor cousin, but I know what you’re talking about. A lot of it is disgusting, but there are great decaf coffees out there. A way forward is to locate a good roaster who also sells espressos to the public. Explain what you want and it is more than likely you will be in for a taste test. Do it a bit like wine - sniff and taste and assess the impact to your palette. Then buy what you like. It is super preferable if you can grind the beans yourself. If not, they will generally grind the beans for you (note their grind setting) but only get a small pack done initially so you can assess how well it suits your coffee machine. Assess if the beans need to be ground finer or coarser. Once you know your bean and your grind, the shop will dispense accordingly, and have what you buy bagged (sealed) into what you can consume in 1 to 2 weeks, otherwise it goes stale and that’s not a good taste either. If it takes you 2 weeks to consume a bag, then only buy 3 bags (guide only - you’ll work it out). Hope that helps.

4 Likes

I have no affiliation but have been buying Pablo&Rusty’s decaf online for a long time, I like it, but that may not mean much. It is done by the “mountain water decaffeination process” apparently.
https://shop.pabloandrustys.com.au/collections/decaf
They deliver and can do a subscription method that works well, you can get a packet every 2 weeks, month, whatever you like. They do it as beans, ground for espresso or filter.

2 Likes

I also have had to switch to decaf for medical reasons and find the new Vitoria decaf Pods are very good if you happen to already have a Nespresso machine. They are water extracted.

3 Likes

I’ve been trying to cut caffeine for health reasons also. I drink mostly pour over coffee at home (Made with a Hario V60, and I’ve gotten quite good at it!). I’ve been switching out some of my regular beans for decaf beans lately. Sometimes mixing the two, sometimes all decaf. I struggled to find decaf beans, but found some from Perth roaster Gesha Coffee Co. They’re water process decaffeinated, dark roast… and they’re actually delicious! Apart from the slight headache, it’s not changed my coffee experience at all.
Gesha have an online store, which admittedly is not the greatest option with AusPost’s current problems, but when AusPost gets it’s act together I’ll be ordering by the kg.

Incidentally, I’ve tried a few of Gesha’s other blends as well. Queen’s Crown is absolutely gorgeous.
Our “regular bean” at the moment is Coles Urban Coffee Culture medium roast. Considering we tend to go through half a kg a week its well priced at $12/kg :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Been on the decaf for about ten years. In the instants Nescafe is easily the best flavour for my taste but like any highly aromatic food product it needs to be kept in the fridge with the lid on tightly. If it’s really the flavour that matters to you buy the smallest jars as it’s best when fresh. If you’re making the change to decaf use more of it initially and taper off. Also use less milk and sugar. The ratios of coffee water and milk all effect the flavour a lot. I use 1 1/2 heaped teaspoons of decaf with 1/3 cup of water and about 1/2 cup of milk.
On the bean front most coffee shops sell beans, some whole, some ground, some both.
I have only tried a few and they are all very good if you make it the right way.

Planning to switch to decaf very soon. I’ve recently discovered that my gastritis can be (and frequently is) triggered by caffeine. But I love the taste of coffee.

Hi SueW, yes caffeine relaxes the sphincter at the lower end of the oesophagus so I was getting reflux into my lungs, and associated lung infections. Avoiding caffeine and limiting alcohol plus raising the head of my bed have all helped. Hence the search for a better decaf coffee.

Thanks for raising the question. I would like to find a reasonable decaf instant, as can’t afford the bean-based. Until you find a preferred flavour decaf, a compromise can be to mix a half or less decaf with preferred coffee form to make up desired amount of coffee, and gradually reduce the proportion of standard coffee as you get used to the different taste. I find decaf “almost but not quite entirely unlike” coffee, but have come to accept it that way. The same for decaf tea.

1 Like

I use’ Republica’ Organic Decaf. It comes in a 100g jar and states that it is ‘Naturally Decaffeinated’.
Label states: 99% caffeine Free. Medium Roast. ACO certified organic. Chemical Free.
I don’t mind the taste either, its not bad. Coles and Woolies have this.

4 Likes

Hi

I found that the Moccona decaf (instant) is fantastic. If you are after ground coffee, I would suggest that you try a decaf from a place like Gloria Jeans and if you like it, buy some of their decaf coffee beans or grind to have at home.

2 Likes

Thank you for all your suggestions. I am currently trying organic fair trade Swiss water processed Decaf by bean alliance group. Drinkable but bland, so I will continue to try the other suggestions.

1 Like

Can I suggest you read my posting – BassaJack – of 18 June. This might be a help.

I bought some Lavazza Decaf pre-ground. It was on half price so only $6 at Coles a few weeks back. I tend to like a fairly strong coffee, and the Lavazza is not strong at all, however, it does have a fairly pleasant taste. I also get Moccona decaf in instant once in a while.

Deleted.