Skechers Shoes - which models should Australian Consumers assess with care before purchase?

Hi,

I have a pair of Skechers shoes SN54610, AU273357.

I am about to put them in the rubbish because when I wear them I often trip as the front of the sole seems to grab the surface that I am walking on. I have worn them infrequently, but the last time that I wore them I tripped twice but fortunately, I managed to regain my balance without falling.

Out of interest I Googled Skechers safety issues and found numerous stories of people having accidents with Skechers shoes in the USA and other places.

I am turning 72 and very fit, with good balance and I feel that is how I have managed to not fall when tripped by the shoes.

12 Likes

Hi @hrodden, welcome to the community and sorry to hear about your shoes.

Shoee are probably supposed to grab the surface one is walking on to prevent slipping.

Do the shoes tend to bite the surface when commencing a step, in mid step or at the end of the step?

Does it occur on any walking surface, or just some?

If it is mid-step, I wonder if the sole is thicker than what you have been use to resulting in the sole dragging mid-step and gripping onto the walking surface. It might mean an adjustment to your walk in such case, ensuring the sole is lifted higher away from the walking surface.

3 Likes

I have never experienced this with any shoes in 72 years. There is lots of information on the web about law suits and people falling when wearing Skechers shoes.

4 Likes

I think Henry you have a pair of these SKECHERS GOWALK MAX - PRECISION. The third photo down on the left shows the sole from underneath. {Click on the blue type to go to the linked website}

Is this what you have?

I canā€™t see anything untoward about the sole. Perhaps as @phb said they are different to what you are used to? I know that sole construction is changing significantly particularly in recent times, with new materials and new designs. (I remember when it was a choice of leather soles or leather soles with those little steel caps front and back.)

Anyway, perhaps those ridges of different looking material grab the floor differently? Perhaps they will be less trippy once you have worn the shoes and soles in a bit?

All the reviews for the US shoes was five stars out of five, and I couldnā€™t find any negative feedback relating to either the US or the Aust product numbers.

4 Likes

Looking online, there seem two US court actions.

The first being about their toning shoes which were specifically designed to place the wearer off balance. It was thought that being off balance increase muscle use and therefore tone leg muscles.

The second not relating to shoe stability, but potentially reaction from chemicals used in children light up shoes.

As outlined above, it would be interesting to know when the gripping action occurs (start, mid or end of step action) and walking surfaces it has occurred on. Such may give an indication to where the problem my lie.

4 Likes

I am 78 and love the comfort of Skechers BUT after tripping and falling yesterday for the third time in 2 yrs I decided to check on my suspicions. Google didnā€™t let me down. In the U.S. there is a class action and here in Australia several articles. My first fall was from the top of a beach wooden fence and my shoe ā€œgluedā€ to the top as I went to jump down a two metre wall. I crashed onto wet sand injuring my ribs. I am fortunate to have very strong healthy bones but the pain was excruciatingā€¦hospital said clinically it was fractured ribs. Weeks of pain. Next time was on a footpathā€¦same thing but I hit hard on my cheekbone amongst other superficial injuries. Taken to hospital! So yesterday when I arrived home to find my new purchase of two pairs of Skechers, I have not opened the package and intend to take this further. Shame though, I have plantar fasciitis and they help with thatā€¦

4 Likes

O tell you if ots been raonong amd paths outside afe slippery certain footwear are like ice find. Certain concrete is s dreadful . O have no idea what goes into concrete Iā€™ve slipped or my foot has, slid. Ots hard find non slip shoes

. This pair of sketchers while walking when in footpath outside are slippery. I donā€™t wear them if its been wet outside much. They are called go walk privy.

2 Likes

I have had PF myself and the Orthopaedic Dept at the PA Hospital got me to use Strassburg Socks (supplied under the Qld Govt Medical Aids Scheme so were free as we are pensioners) at night. You have to be measured to get the right one for you, it uses calf diameter and length of the lower leg to work out which size you need. Took about 3 months of wearing them while asleep but no longer have the problem.

https://heel-spur.info/strassburg-sock

3 Likes

I wonder if the soles are made if similar material to thongsā€¦as thongs are notoriously slippery on many surfaces when there is any sniff of water. There are products available which can be added to the sole to make them less slipperyā€¦but it does beg the question why a consumer should add such products if a shoeā€™s sole is known to be slippery. I expect during product testing (hopefully it was done) Skechers would have known this was the case.

3 Likes

Eva on the sketchers pair sole

1 Like

I am 50 and I have many pairs of skechers, with the gowalk ones I am CONSTANTLY catching the front of the shoe on my tiles and carpets. Itā€™s a miracle I havenā€™t fallen down yet. I think itā€™s because the front of the sole of the shoe is so thick and Iā€™m not used to lifting my foot so far off the ground to walk to make it clear the ground. I still wear them because they offer my injured back the best support whilst standing in a shoe Iā€™ve ever had. Iā€™m just really wary now when I wear the gowalks to lift my feet further, however I still do forget (because walking is an automatic action not one you usually think about). My other desgins of skechers I have I do not have this problem with, only the gowalks.

6 Likes

I am new to this forum and canā€™t figure out how to post with out doing a Reply, so hereā€™s my story:
I am a 78 woman and have 3 pairs of Skechers. The first pair I got years ago and wore a lot. I think they were Skechers Go Walk slip ins. Very comfortable. It wasnā€™t until maybe last year that I started having the problem described by many of the people who posted here. I didnā€™t know the word to use to explain what was happening, but it started happening more frequently - sticking, catching on the floor (or outdoors or on carpet). I figured they were getting worn out. So I decided not to wear them outside any more. Then on March 21, 2021, I was wearing them in my kitchen (in my apartment) (on a composite wood floor) and I was exercising, doing side steps and the next thing I knew, what you describe as ā€˜catching the front of the shoeā€™ happened and I went down really hard. I landed on the floor and thought for sure I had broken something. I am sure I was in shock as I lay there for awhile and then decided I had to see if I could move and get up. I was alone and my phone was on the kitchen counter, so if I was badly injured I couldnā€™t have gotten help because the walls are so well insulated where I live, no one would have ever heard me screaming. It was terrifying. I was able to move myself to a carpeted area and managed to get up off the floor. I was terribly shaken and sore. I had fallen on my left side and hit the top of my thigh/hip area and my left side and left forearm, hand and thumb were starting to hurt quite a lot. Luckily I was able to walk. I iced the areas. It took several weeks for the pain to go away. At first I couldnā€™t even use my hand and the hip area was painful too. Then I got black and blue from my hip bone down to the middle of my thigh and my hand arm arm were black and blue also. I was very lucky! I immediately threw away the old Skechers. But I already had two other pairs - one is GOGA MAX and the other newest pair is Air Cooled GOGA MAT. I have been wearing them but then noticed that the catching at the front causing me to almost trip happened with those too. I figured it was just me, but I wondered if anyone else had this problem. Today, when it happened, I googled ā€œSkechers fallā€ and found this site and I am really angry to know this has happened to other people! I could have broken my hip or hit my head! Iā€™m not sure what to do about this now that I know I am not the only one. I know I will not continue to wear my Skechers, much as I love them and will not ever buy them again. BTW, I realized it was time to get something to call for help and ended up buying an Apple Watch Series 6 with cellular. If it senses that I fell down, it will say something like ā€œIt seems like you had a fall. Are you okay?ā€ If I donā€™t answer, it will automatically call the rescue squad nearby and then call my emergency contacts that are in my iPhone. If I did not fall, I can cancel the calls.

5 Likes

Welcome to the Community @jmg2525,

Your story is relevant and interesting, but I trust you realise this is an Australian forum. Our consumer laws, services, particulars and availability of products, and mobile coverage vary from those in the USA.

2 Likes

Actually what this lady says about sketchers is quite true i am sure i remember when walking tbe front part of the shoe gets caught on my lino in the kitchen. It forced me to go forward as if i was going to trip. The soles are not rubber as on other shoes. They afe very comfortable when walking. Ill have to watch out for slipping

3 Likes

ive had 2 pairs of Go Walk , 5 and 6 models. Both have had this problem.
The 5 were worse than the 6. But 6 still sticks to floor. There is a suction effect in the sole. it happens when you take one step, eg, with left foot, and then step forward with other foot, but previous foot is stuck to floor and you lose balance.

today i took a horrible fall and smashed elbow and knee, but fortunately didnt break anything, that is it. im writing to central office and never wearing them again.

as an aside this hasnā€™t happened with Skechers Summit model, or any other shoe Ive ever had in my life

3 Likes

Walking on footpath especially if a freshly completed section has been finished and the edge they trowel smooth is extremely slippery. I have nearly gone over and also not waterproof

1 Like

I trip with my Skechers even on smooth floor/ground, thought it was my fault, but a friend told me last week the same happens with her

6 Likes

Welcome to the community @musketeer and thanks for your input .

2 Likes

and me too. I have not purchased Skechers since throwing away an almost new pair. I think that they are highly dangerous.

1 Like

Hi everyone. What a surprise to read that Iā€™m not the only one with this problem. I have bought Sketchers Go Walk for years without issue. However, the two most recent pairs, one about a year old, the second brand new , stick to the floor at home (wooden) and smooth tiles in shopping centres. I have fallen completely over once in my hallway (bruising my knee and jolted shoulder) and almost fallen many times. The sole material is too grippy. Itā€™s the right foot shoe that gripps/tripps. Iā€™m 72 years old and fairly fit. What to do about it , apart from exaggeratedly lifting my feet when I walk? Donā€™t wear them in shopping malls? This defeats the purpose in owing comfy shoes. Is it possible to claim a refund from Sketchers based on Safety?

5 Likes