Daikin Super Multi NX split system airconditioners and building in hot humid climate

Design requirements for cyclone rated buildings have been continuously improving. Typically the revised requirements appear to require more not less.

There is a requirement for impact resistance of laminated glass doors and windows to meet cyclone ratings, including as necessary heavier/stronger frames. I think the standard was updated in 2011, Ref AS1170.2 requiring significantly greater resistance to failure from impact of flying objects.

Removable shutters, higher strength laminated glass windows, roller shutters all appear to be suitable alternatives when matched to need and cost.

A number of the glass companies offer uprated premium laminated products as an alternative to shutters. Shuttering up is common in NW Western Australia which has the highest cyclone wind risk. It can be low cost if the fixings are in place. For any of us oldies, or those with two stories, manually fitted shutters may be more challenging. The option of permanent external metal roller shutters might have some appeal.

Hope this is of general interest as well as informative for those contemplating moving somewhere more tropical and coastal.

1 Like

Thanks for that, actually I looked for the cyclone shutters online ages ago and didn’t find much more internal blinds came up. Without going to any trouble do you know how to source them

1 Like

Thanks again yes external metal roller shutters that brings them up

1 Like

There are other permanent external options, one only example.

I think @grahroll was referring to alternatives that can include removable metal panels or board (eg 20mm form board) that drop onto pre installed brackets. The panels are stored until needed.

1 Like

Our’s were supplied by a builder, whom I would guess is no longer working as it was many years ago in Mackay. As @mark_m notes our’s were removable panels that slotted in fittings and a nut was attached to a threaded bolt on 4 points to keep them in place.

I would ask your builder or try the following (not a recommendation just a few of the businesses I could find for Mackay):

My G’father’s house had wooden shutters (Townsville) and his beach house had drop down corrugated iron shutters (dropped into fittings). The house and beach house are over 90 years old now but still stand after many Cyclones and severe storms.

1 Like

Thank you all for comments & advice

2 Likes