CPAP Machines, Sleep Apnoea - Machines, Parts, Prices

I understand that @postulative is not asking for the record of a sale to be deleted but the account the Business then created to attach that record to. From some dealers if I create a Guest sale it comes to me with an invoice that states Online Sale rather than a named account. it still has my name and address on the invoice just no attached personal/business account.

3 Likes

It could come down to the implementation details of the particular ordering system.

The sale is associated with an account. The account was created in the name of @postulative, despite an implied initial request to the contrary (by virtue of using ā€˜guest checkoutā€™). It may be difficult or impossible then to delete the account, while the order is still active (i.e. has not been completed).

Another approach would be to accept that the account has been created and let the order complete (item delivered or at least despatched) and then go in and maintain your profile by filling it with garbage (/ clear out name, address, phone, email, ā€¦).

Have you seen this about ā€˜One of the big cpap manufacturers is trying to take down the CPAP Reviews channelā€™?

In response I wrote ā€œNick, hear, hear. I bought my ResMed 9 machine 10 years ago overseas at a third of the price I was asked for in Australia. Evil. And yes, I have never found a sleep doctor not in cahoots with the suppliers although never declaring this. I think this is already illegal and if is not, it ought be. BUT, Nick, it is not just CPAP machines. My hearing aids cost less than 40% in Ireland than they did in Australia. AND Phonak, Unitron et al play the ā€˜warranty voidā€™ game. But for sleep doctors and audiologists the issue is not just the bed of money you talk about. I know that Phonak, Unitron and ReSound set different wholesale prices for audiologists they have deals with over others (and I am talking variations of over 200%). I have no doubt businesses like ResMed (and yes, I still LOVE my life saving ResMed CPAP machine) engage in similar unethical behaviour. Keep up the good fight, mate. Feel free to contact me if you wish to follow up.ā€ Folks, through CHOICE we really need to do something about this. Last time I raised this with CHOICE (ten years ago) I just got platitudes and no action.

The September article you ran about the CPAP recalll didnā€™t mention the exorbitant cost of these machines which makes it impossible for many people to just stop using a dodgy one if they have it and buy a new one.
The cost of CPAP machines and all the replacement masks, tubes, filters etc is rediculously high, I feel itā€™s a rip off. $2,000 for a machine, $300 for a mask, little thin square filter piece of foam thing about 2x 2 cm that goes on the outside of the machine about $10! These parts have to be replaced every couple of years. I questioned the costs once when buying a part and was told it was medical and therefore expensive, I thought that was a lame answer.
Philips (and anyone else who makes CPAP machines) has been making gazillions for a long time from peoples sleep apnea, Philips should just replace all machines now.

Also, the process of registering your potentially faulty machine with Philips is clunky and long. One person taking the calls ( Iā€™ve helped a few people register their machines) didnā€™t have any clue/ information about the recall when I asked questions and said the machine I was ringing about wasnā€™t on the dodgy list when Iā€™m certain it is- have to now ring back again now- more time and energy wasted.

3 Likes

Welcome to the Community @Kal,

I merged your post into this relevant topic where you might find commentary on local pricing compared to international norms as well as personal importation. I also cross linked it on another relevant topic about Philips.

I hope you will find something in this topic useful if not just interesting.

1 Like

I registered online just today, having completely forgotten to do it when I was first alerted. Apparently the deal in Australia is that you are sent a Dreamstation 2, which is worse than the DS1. Iā€™m going to buy something else. Maybe thats why I was having such issues with sinus/nasal congestion. Tiny bits of foam blasting through :frowning:

On the matter of congestion, I have discovered the joys of Drixine, Otrivin, and Otrivin Plus. And as a backup, Bosistoā€™s saline and eucalyptus nasal spray. Drixine et al are not recommended for long term use, due to the possibility of rebound congestion. I confess to have been using off and on (once or twice a day) since my serious nosebleeds of early this year, as recommended by the ENT docā€¦ she said 3 days only, and that was fine. Apparently Drixine shrinks the blood vesselsā€¦ nice. So, a month later I restarted bu not 3 times a day, just before bed. Worked miracles. Been sleeping fairly well, AHIs are down to 1 or less most of the time but never more than 2. A new machine of a non Philips type will probably get me completely sorted. Want: Resmed. Will probably have to settle for something else.

BTW for those interested, buying the Philips machine as a ā€œgently usedā€ from Secondwindcpap.com (USA) made no difference to being able to register for a fix in Australia

1 Like

CPAP Direct seem to have deals throughout the year eg newest Resmed was $1600 in August.

Thanks @grahroll, but CPAP direct arent that cheap. Iā€™ve seen new Resmeds for $1399ā€¦ but the point is moot, I still canā€™t afford it. I think Iā€™ll be lookng at lesser known brands. I already use BMC masks, and may get one of their machines. Or Transcend for the smaller size.

1 Like

Another that might suit your budget better

https://www.thecpapclinic.com.au/products/devilbiss-sleep-cube-fixed-pressure-cpap-machine-plus-without-humidifier

My friend uses a Devil and quite likes it. This one obviously is fixed pressure, You could look on the site to see if they have autosets.

LOL. Devilbiss uses the same foam that Philips have been using. BMC or Transcend will do.

Seems no way of getting an assessment of CPAP machine performance and reliability other than actually trying out each machine. Tres tedious!

1 Like

Have you looked here?
CPAP Machines, Sleep Apnea - Machines, Parts, Prices

2 Likes

I now buy replacement CPAP accessories from TEMU. The masks for my strap cost $99 from a local sleep company and $12 from TEMU - same brand, same design. I have now bought new filters, hose and a device that holds the hose up out of the way all for much less. I encourage you to look around to see what your options are.

1 Like

Wow, I didnt know Temu had those. Thanks for the headsup