COVIDSafe app scepticism

Generally if people are turned off version 1.0 of your app they will uninstall it and not return regardless of any improvements you might make.

1 Like

Depends why they are turned off… Pundits can destroy almost anything through their critical opinions, warranted, valid, or not.

Despite misgivings, New Zealand’s going the way of the tracing app:

In the long run, its not going to matter much. I found overnight that the app (on iOS) shuts itself down after a few hours (7 or 8) so you need to be constantly making sure its running. Also, those who have inspected the running processes are finding that its not that reliable about pinging other phones, and apparently not fond at all of pinging android phones. All seems to defeat the purpose. I’ll leave mine running but am not expecting anything useful t come out of it.

1 Like

We’ve installed the App on two different models of iPhone. It did not shut down over night on either over two nights. One is on IOS 13.3.1, the other 13.4.1 and no issues since installing Monday. The App is left running and the phones used as per normal.

Note: When IOS switches to low power mode to save battery it reportedly shuts down background running apps. In ‘Settings - Battery’ Low Power Mode should be turned off, is worth checking.

1 Like

Yeah, wasnt on low power, it was plugged in all night. Switched it on when I woke and just checked now, its still active. Maybe I did unload it, I often do that with all apps, its a habit after a couple of days. will see how it goes tonight.

1 Like

I am also concerned that blithely the Govt tells us there are strict laws in place to stop the data that is being collected from being used by any other organisation or any other purpose. That does not inspire me with any confidence about what will be shared. A law just as easily as it can be written can also be amended or removed. This gives only a sense then of only currently at this point of my day providing some level of protection but this level of confidence and protection could be removed overnight by a simple change in Parliament or to the law by Parliament. Do I trust them to do what is right? No, my trust in them (distrust perhaps) is that they will do what is expedient for them and their apparatchik and/or nomenklatura to meet their wants/needs/desires…

2 Likes

Not really, you are inflating this as if there would be no political consequences of reversing such a law. Yes it is theoretically possible but it isn’t likely. Even the most amoral government has to weigh the consequences of getting caught out.

1 Like

Possible bad consequences but also possible hurrahs from others in the fight against terrorism or any other matter that gets us upset. Weighing up cost and benefit is always done but the change is easy just perhaps not palatable until the right buttons/reasons are given. Current privacy has been watered down in the name of combating terrorism with little to suggest it has been mainstream condemned by voters. So my reasoning stands that it can be very easily changed, consequences of such change are only seen after the fact.

2 Likes

Remember also that nothing is uploaded without your permission. Logs are kept on your phone until you are asked for them. Its up to you to report if you are positive for Covid-19, your phone has no way of knowing that. And then, that person you were talking to in the supermarket for >15 minutes albeit at a distance, should get pinged to let them know to go get tested, and that person’s logs will be requested, so that the people they have been in contact with can also be notified.

I’ve taken my alfoil cap off, for the duration of this thing. As I have said before, until you have been so sick you have almost drowned in your own secretions, you really have NO idea how bad it can get… and its worse than that. I want to live. I’ve been a hermit for the past 25 years and I’ve now discovered that my desire to remain alive for as long as possible is really quite healthy…

1 Like

A concern with the Android version of CovidSafe:

https://www.intothebloodstream.com.au/2020/04/covidsafe.html

It’s not as if any member of our government has ever tried to arrogantly bluff and bully their way. The history of selling compromise to the voters in the name of combating terrorists, pædophiles, etc. gives no grounds for complacency.

1 Like

Sometimes I feel I have wandered into a survivalist web site where the number one enemy and worry is ‘the government’ followed by ‘the hackers’ with the wolves in the far distance.

Just commenting, no replies necessary.

5 Likes

I am perhaps guilty but I swear I was innocent at the time.

3 Likes

I suggest it is simply because of the subject matter. While I personally believe that governments should step in to contain the excesses of capitalism, I also have a healthy scepticism that any particular government - or those subsequent to it - will do the right thing to protect my privacy.

We got clear evidence of this from all the major parties in December 2018, with laws rushed through Parliament to ‘combat terrorism and child abuse’ during the ‘Christmas holiday period’ that made every Australian’s online data less private and could ultimately force large tech companies out of the Australian market.

Australia’s government has done pretty well in dealing with COVID-19/SARS-CoV-2, but that does not mean it is getting everything right - and it certainly does not mean we should assume that any data it collects is either securely stored or safe from misuse.

5 Likes

Could be.

Well said, but on the preponderance of evidence on this day we (they) are [surprisingly?] doing better than most.

This has been clearly stated and restated. I agree with the message, not necessarily with the sometimes tone and fervour [as a consumer issue].

4 Likes

I’m not paranoid, the universe is against me!

:wink:.

4 Likes

Not just you, the rest of us also !!! don’t feel singled out :wink:

2 Likes

I think @postulative means that … you only get one chance to make a first impression. This isn’t about what pundits say. It’s just about a first time user coming away with the impression that the app doesn’t work / doesn’t work well / works but causes other problems. It is then much harder to get that user to give your app a second chance if V2.0 comes out and indeed does fix some problems.

That is the counterargument to the valid perspective that getting something perfect may mean that you never get anything released at all.

So the decision to release is a finely balanced one. I would bet money that the timing here has not been made on the basis of the appropriateness to release but instead is determined by the exigencies of dealing with a global pandemic.

My point wasn’t about getting it perfect however. It was about the difference between unacceptable privacy implications and acceptable privacy implications.

Except there aren’t. There aren’t any laws in place regarding the use of this data.

There may be some law at some time in the not too distant future (one month?). In the meantime you are expected to install the app now.

Or the legislation may delegate the possibility of such change to the Regulations or a Disallowable Instrument or a Ministerial Determination.

As there isn’t even an exposure draft of the proposed legislation yet, I suppose, we have no idea.

:+1:

They have trained me to distrust them.

So you reverse it only for pedo cases. You wouldn’t oppose that, right? If you oppose that, you must be a pedo. :rofl: Or you must hate children.

Then you reverse it for terrorism cases. You wouldn’t oppose that, right? If you oppose that, you must be a terrorist. Or you must love terrorists. Or you must hate democracy.

I think you can see where this is going.

1 Like

This is the legislation…

There is legislation in place…refer Part 2 of the above legislative determination in relation to COVIDSafe data management.

1 Like

As long as you don’t live in China.